You can face feature update to windows 10, version 1903 – error 0x80070020 during installing windows updates or during using windows applications like a windows media player. Windows update brings a lot of cool features and optimizes performance on your device. One user can face the error 0x80070020 when they try to install the windows update on their pc. This can happen due to antivirus, corrupted files on your pc, or if the windows services are not working properly. This is a known error on windows and we have solutions to fix this error on your pc. Regardless of the windows version, you are using, you follow the steps below to eliminate the windows update error code 0x80070020 on your pc.
How to fix windows error 0x80070020
Run windows update troubleshooter
Windows comes with the inbuilt windows update troubleshooter which can help you in fixing an issue related to windows update. Windows update troubleshooter will find the issue for feature update to windows 10, version 1903 – error 0x80070020 on your pc and provide you with some steps to fix this error 0x80070020 on your pc. To run windows update troubleshooter you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the windows setting by pressing the Windows + I button on your keyboard.
- Now here click on update and security.
- Click on the troubleshoot option from the right pane.
- Now click on additional troubleshooters.
- Now click on windows update and click on run the troubleshooter.
Now windows will look for the issue which is causing the windows update error 0x80070020. When the scan completes follow the on-screen instruction to get rid of the windows update error code 0x80070020 on your pc. If this doesn’t help you then follow the other troubleshooting steps below
Tips: Make sure you’ve a good internet connection while installing the windows update on your pc.
Run the bits service on your pc
I faced this error code 0x80070020 on my pc when I tried to play a video using the windows media player. If this is the scenario with you then don’t worry this one is easy to fix. If you’re facing error 0x80070020 while using the windows media player or other windows app then you can start the bits service on your pc. To start bits service on your pc follows the steps below:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and search services.
- Double click on the service icon to open it.
- Now locate the Background intelligent transfer service (BITs) from the list. Now right click on the bits and click on start.
After starting the bits service on your pc you’ll not face the windows update error 0x80070020. You can also fix the error 0x80070020 on your pc by resetting the windows update component on your pc.
Reset windows update folders component
You can face the windows update error like 0x80070020,(0x8024a105), 0x80070002 on your pc if the files are missing or corrupted in windows updates component folders. Resetting windows update folders (softwaredistribution and catroot2) on your pc can fix the windows error 0x80070020. To reset these folders on your pc you can follow the steps below:
- From the bottom left side of the screen search for cmd and open it as administrator.
- In the command prompt type the commands which are mentioned below. Note: make sure to hit enter after every command which is mentioned below.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- After performing these commands your softwaredistribution and catroot2 folders will reset.
- Now download the windows update on your pc and install it on your pc.
After resetting the windows update component you’ll not face error code 0x80070020 on your pc.
Related: Fix thread stuck in device driver
Disable Antivirus on Your PC
Sometimes the third party antiviruses block the installation of windows update on your pc. If the antivirus on your pc is blocking the installation of windows update then you can face the error 0x80070020 on your pc. In case you’re using an antivirus on your pc then try disabling the antivirus temporarily to see if you can install the update without facing error 0x80070020. If this doesn’t help try uninstalling the antivirus from your pc to see if that fixes the feature update to windows 10, version 1903 – error 0x80070020. Windows has inbuilt antivirus to protect you against viruses so you don’t need to worry too much after disabling or removing third-party antivirus from your pc.
Tips: Make sure the date & time and region on your pc is correct.
Run the DISM and SFC Scan on Your PC
You can face such an error on your pc due to corrupted or missing files. You can try running the inbuilt windows file scanner to find and fix the missing or corrupted files on your pc. Now follow the steps below to fix missing or corrupted files on your pc.
Run SFC Scan:
- Search command prompt from the bottom left side of the screen.
- Now right-click on the command prompt and open it as administrator.
- Now type sfc/scannow and hit enter.
- Windows will automatically scan your pc for corrupted and missing files on your pc and fix them
- When the process completes restarting your pc and checks if the error 0x80070020 is fixed on your pc.
Run DISM Scan Tool:
- Again open the command prompt as administrator.
- Now type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit enter.
- Now windows will scan for the corrupted systems files on your pc and restore the health of software on your pc.
- When the scan completes restart your pc.
After performing these scans on your pc the windows update error 0x80070020 will be resolved on your pc.
Conclusion: You can try starting the windows bits service to fix the error 0x80070020 on your. You can also try resetting the windows update component folder to fix this issue. Running the windows update troubleshooter can also help you in fixing the windows error 0x80070020.
If you’ve suggestions on how to fix error code 0x80070020 then let us know from the comment box and also check how to fix video scheduler internal error.