Is your vizio smart tv keeps turning off and sometimes on by itself. Then don’t worry you’re not alone. Vizio tv turning off or restarting is an issue faced by many vizio tv owners. Whenever a user turns on their tv it stays on for a while then it turns off automatically. Today in this post we’re going to discuss why your vizio tv is rebooting and how you can fix it.
Why is My Vizio TV Turning Off By Itself?
Below are some of the reasons for vizio tv keeps turning off issue:
- Temporary glitch: Most of the time this occurs because of a temporary technical glitch.
- Auto-off: Your vizio tv can turn off on its own when the auto-off feature is enabled.
- Cec: If Cec is enable then it can also turn your tv off.
- Loose cable or fault in the wiring: Sometimes loose power cables or defective wires can also cause the issue.
- Overheating: If your vizio tv is heating, then it can cause to turn off your tv own its own.
- Low ram issue: Your tv can turn off due to low internal memory.
- Pending firmware update: If your tv is downloading a big update, then your vizio tv keeps rebooting.
- Faulty or damaged HDMI input. If your HDMI port is damaged then it can cause your tv to restart.
- Remote: Sometimes when the remote is defective or button is stuck then it cause your tv to shut down on its own. Or any other device remote can also turn off your vizio tv.
How Do You Fix a Vizio TV That Keeps Turning Off?
Power cycle vizio tv
Power cycle/hard reset is a fix that works for many vizio tv owners. If your vizio tv is turning off on its own, then try hard resetting your vizio smart tv by following the steps below.
- Turn off your vizio smart tv.
- Remove all the devices that are plugged into your vizio smart tv.
- Unplug your vizio tv from the power outlet.
- Press the physical power button on your vizio smart tv for about 30 seconds.
- Wait for 10-20 minutes.
- Now connect the devices to your vizio tv.
- Plugin your tv into the power outlet.
- Turn on your vizio tv using your remote.
After the hard reset, the vizio tv keeps turning off issue will be fixed. If your vizio tv is still turning off, then you can find the other troubleshooting steps below.
Remove The Battery From The Remote
This is one of the most common and ignored reasons behind vizio tv keeps rebooting issue. Not many vizio tv owners are aware that a faulty vizio remote or any other remote like a firestick remote with IR blasters can cause your tv to turn off randomly. So in this situation, all you need to do is to remove the batteries from all of your remotes. Make sure to remove the battery from the other remote (firestick remote etc) also. After removing the battery turn on your vizio tv and check if vizio tv is still turning off or not. If not the vizio tv keeps rebooting issue is resolved.
Tip: Also make sure to check if the power outlet is damaged or not. If there is an issue with power outlet then this can cause your vizio tv to turn off randomly.
Change Power Mode Settings
Making changes in the power mode setting can resolve the vizio tv turning off issue on many vizio TVs. You can follow the steps below for fixing vizio tv keeps restarting.
- Go to your vizio tv settings.
- Now select the system.
- Select power mode.
- Now change the power mode to quickstart mode.
After changing the power mode to quickstart mode the vizio tv keeps rebooting issue will be resolved.
Turn Off CEC in Settings
If your tv is receiving a wrong cec signal from your connected device then this can cause your tv to turn off on its own. Turning off the cec in the settings can help you in resolving the problem.
- Go to settings.
- Now select the system.
- Here select CEC.
- Now turn off CEC.
After turning off the cec vizio tv rebooting problem will be fixed on your smart tv.
Related: Smartcast home not available
Plug The Cord into The Wall Directly
If you’re still experiencing the turning off issue then maybe you’re encountered a power surge. This problem occurs when you use an extension cord to connect many devices, so if you’re also doing the same then you should have to plug your tv power cord directly into the wall power socket. And check whether doing this resolved the issue or not.
Disable Auto-Power Off
Still, your Vizio tv keeps turning off? In settings of Vizio tv, there is an Auto-Off feature, that will shut your tv off as per your chosen timings. Some affected users were able to fix this issue by disabling the auto power-off feature. So, if you want to turn it off then follow the guided path –
- Go to the Menu.
- Then, go to the Timers option
- Now, Navigate to the Auto Power off and opt OFF.
- Lastly, restart your tv and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Enable The Eco Mode
Turning eco mode disables all the communication from the external devices. This can fix the vizio tv keeps turning of issue due to external communicating devices. To turn on the eco mode on your vizio tv follow the steps below.
- On your vizio remote press menu button.
- Select system option.
- Now go to power mode.
- Select the eco mode.
- Now enable it.
Once the eco mode is enabled wait and check if the vizio tv keeps restarting, turning off issue is resolved or not.
Try Removing Firestick or Roku Stick From Your USB Port
Firestick and roku stick draws the power from the vizio tv for powering them. This can draw of power can issue with your vizio tv. This overconsumption of power from vizio tv can cause vizio tv turning off issue. But you can easily fix this issue by removing roku stick or firestick from the tv. To fix this issue follow the steps below.
- Remove the roku or firestick from the vizio tv.
- Now use the original firestick or roku stick’s adapter for powering your streaming stick.
- Connect your streaming stick to the vizio tv.
Now vizio tv keeps turning off and on issue will be fixed.
Investigate Your Remote
Nothing helping you out? So, it’s better to inspect your tv remote, try to press the buttons on the remote, and check if they are working properly or not. And, press the power button 4-5 times because there can be some chances that your tv power button is stuck to the panel and your tv keeps turning off and on. If this doesn’t help you out then try to reset your remote as guided in the next step.
Update the Firmware
Updating the firmware to its latest version can help you to get rid of this issue because each device has bugs in them and that’s why companies release firmware updates for their devices within every 2-4 months. Vizio is following the same and provides these types of updates within a period if your firmware isn’t updated to its version then you must have to update it. And, if you don’t know how to do it then,
- Press the Menu button on the Vizio tv remote.
- Then, Locate the System tab and select check for updates.
- If any update is available then perform it and check.
Also check: How to reset vizio tv with black screen issue
Why does my Tv keeps turn off after a few seconds?
There are too many reasons why your tv keeps on turning off but if you’re using your tv for the past few hours then it’ll be better if you check your tv temperature. If your tv is getting overheated then turn it off and unplug the cord from the socket for at least 2 hours.
Reset the TV Controller
One of the users commented that his Vizio tv remote button aren’t working properly whenever he tried to press a button his tv went to turn off, so he tried to reset his remote and able to fix this issue, so there are some minor changes that you’re tv remote is the culprit behind this keeps turning off issue. So, try to reset your tv remote for once may it will you out,
- Unplug your Tv and plug it back in after 1min passes.
- Secondly, remove the lid from the back of your remote and take the batteries out.
- Now, hold the power button for 30 seconds and press each button of your remote several times. It will drain all of the residual charges from the remote.
- Now, put the batteries back to the remote and check whether this helped you out or not.
Faulty HDMI Input
If your HDMI port is broken or damaged then that can cause your vizio tv to reboot itself again and again. To fix this issue you need to use another HDMI port on your vizio tv. Switch the wires or devices to another HDMI port. Then turn on your vizio tv and select the correct HDMI input. After changing the HDMI input the problem will be resolved on your vizio smart tv.
Another minor but ignored setting is the timer settings. You can disable it for fixing the vizio tv turning off issue. Go to setting then select timer now disable the auto power off. After disabling the turn-off timer issue will be resolved on your vizio tv.
Related: Fix lg tv black screen
Reset Your Vizio Smart TV
If your vizio tv keeps rebooting or turning off again and again then you can try resetting it to factory settings. Note you’ll lose all the downloaded data and custom settings. For resetting your vizio tv follow the steps below.
- Locate the buttons on the backside of your tv.
- Turn on your tv.
- As soon as the tv turns on press and hold the volume down and input the button from the backside of tv until you a message on your screen.
- Now press the input button from the back of your tv for 10 seconds.
- This will reset your vizio tv.
- When the tv start set it up.
If your vizio tv is still turning off or rebooting then you need to contact the vizio team for help. If this is a hardware issue then they can help you in resolving the issue. Also check our post on how to fix sling tv not working.