Recently updated on January 6th, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Is your LG Smart TV keeps turning on and off on its own? Don’t worry, this can be easily fixed with some troubleshooting steps.
Some technical issues, such as hardware problems, software problems, settings that are incorrect, loose cables, damaged cables, or damaged outlets, can cause this problem.
Users can also face the LG TV restarting again and again issue, because the memory is not cleared when the Quick Start + feature is turned on. In this scenario, your LG TV might restart to free up some memory.
Here we’ll explain how you can fix LG TVs that keep restarting or that turn off frequently.
Why my LG TV keeps turning off every 5 seconds?
Below we’ve mentioned some reasons behind LG Smart TV keeps turning off and on issue.
- Inappropriately plug AC cord: Your LG Smart TV can start rebooting, if the power cord is not connected properly.
- Damaged cables: Damaged cables are bad conductor of power, so it can prevent the current from going through properly.
- Bad power supply board: If the power supply board is damaged, then your LG Smart TV can start turning on and off.
- Remote battery: Some users reported that they were facing LG TV rebooting issue due to low battery power.
- Enabled Quick Start features: Some function of TV can also create this issue.
- Outdated TV firmware: You can face LG TV rebooting problem due to outdated firmware of the TV.
Fix LG TV Turning On and Off By Itself?
You can fix LG TV turning off and on frequently by disabling the Quick Start + feature. To disable it, head to the Settings, then scroll to the General and disable the Quick Start + feature. Also, turning off the Auto Power Off feature can fix the issue too.
Power Cycle Your LG Smart TV
- Turn off your LG Smart TV.
- Now, unplug it from the wall outlet.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Afterward, plug it back into the power socket.
Now, turn on your LG Smart TV and check whether the issue is resolved or not. If your LG smart tv is still turning off by itself, then follow other fixes from below.
Check Cable For Issues
First of all, make sure that the wire or cable that is connected to power is not damaged or broken. A damaged cable can cause your LG TV to restart constantly.
If your LG Smart TV’s power cable is damaged, you should have your Smart TV wire fixed by a technician.
If your LG Smart TV comes with a removable power cable, make sure that the cable is plugged into your TV’s power source. You can also purchase a new one and plug it into your TV to see if this resolves the issue.
Try removing and reinserting the cable into the slot again. Verify if the issue is fixed or not.
You can also try replacing your LG Smart TV’s power cord. Plug your newly purchased power cord into the wall outlet and power input of your Smart TV. Now, turn on your LG smart TV and check if the issue is resolved or not.
Disable LG Smart TV Quick Start + Feature
Some LG TV owners have reported that they managed to resolve the issue by disabling the Quick Start + feature. To disable Quick Start + on your LG Smart TV, follow the steps below.
- Press the Home button on your LG TV remote.
- Go to Settings.
- Next, head to the General tab.
- Now, select the Quick Start + option and turn it off.
Now, after disabling the Quick Start + feature, wait for some time and check if the restarting issue is resolved or not.
Related: Fix LG Content Store not working or missing.
Low Memory/Cache Overload
Sometimes your LG Smart TV will reboot itself. This happen with heavy users (using 2,3 apps or higher video quality or bitrate) due to low memory or cache overload.
In this case, your LG Smart TV will reboot itself to free up some ram and cache. And, you’ll get a notification on your screen saying “This app will now restart to free up more memory”.
To fix this, close others apps and use one app at a time. Disabling the Quick Start + feature by following the steps we’ve mentioned in the above method can also fix low memory or cache overload issues.
Or, you can manually clean the cache on your LG Smart TV by following the steps below.
- On your LG TV remote, press Smart or Home button.
- Go to Web browser and open its Settings.
- Now, use your remote to locate and select Clear browsing data and hit OK.
- Again, navigate to Home screen and select Settings.
- Now, go to Apps manager or Application manager.
- Now select an app from the list and go to storage option. Now clear cache from here.
- Follow the steps above to clear cache of every app you use.
Now, your LG Smart TV will have enough memory to function properly.
Disable Auto Power Off Feature
Auto power off is a helpful feature for LG Smart TVs. This feature turns off your Smart TV automatically at a preset time. But some users forget to turn off the Auto power-off feature after switching it on.
Also, some users enable this feature on their LG Smart TV by mistake.
In such scenarios, you can follow the steps below to disable the Auto power-off feature.
How to turn off Auto power off on LG TV?
- Press the Home button on your LG Smart TV remote.
- Go to the All Settings option.
- In the General tab, select Time.
- Now, select the Timers option.
- From here, disable the Power-off option.
Now, check if the LG TV keeps turning off and on the issue is resolved or not.
Disable SIMPLINK Feature
Simplink can cause your Smart TV to turn on by itself. If your Simplink is enabled, then your Smart TV can turn on if a device connected to your Smart TV is turned on. Disabling SIMPLINK can help in fixing LG Smart TV frequently turning off and on issues.
- Press Home on your LG TV remote.
- Go to the Settings option.
- Now, select the General option.
- Choose SIMPLINK.
- Next, disable the Auto power sync option.
Now, check if the LG TV keeps turning on the issue is resolved or not. If not, then try following other troubleshooting steps.
Clear Cache After Disabling Simplink and QuickStart +
After disabling the SIMPLINK and Quick Start + feature you need to clear the cache on your LG Smart TV. Because LG Smart TV doesn’t clear the cache when the Quick Start + feature is turned on. So now you need to clear the LG smart TV memory cache by following the steps below.
- Turn off your LG Smart TV.
- Unplug your LG TV’s cord from the wall outlet.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Now, plug the cord back into outlet and turn on your LG TV.
Now, try using your LG Smart TV for a while. LG TV keeps restarting issue should be fixed on your LG Smart TV.
Related: Fix sharp tv keeps turning off and on.
Update Your LG Smart TV Firmware
LG says that some issues can be easily fixed with a software update. Maybe LG has already released an update for fixing the LG TV keeps turning on and off for your LG Smart TV model.
So a software update can sometimes help you in fixing this issue. To update the firmware of your LG Smart TV, follows the steps below.
- On your LG TV remote, press the Settings button.
- Now, scroll down to select All Settings.
- Go to the General tab and select ABOUT THIS TV.
- Now, select CHECK FOR UPDATES.
- Download and install any pending update.
Now, check if the LG Smart TV keeps turning on and off issue is resolved or not.
Related: Fix Vizio TV keeps turning off.
Reset Your LG Smart TV To Initial Settings
If your LG Smart TV is still restarting again and again. Then you can try resetting your LG Smart TV to factory settings. To factory reset your LG Smart TV, follow the steps below.
- Press the Settings button on the LG TV remote.
- Go to All Settings.
- Select the General tab.
- Now, select Reset to Initial Settings.
- Enter the default pin 1234 or your pin for resetting your LG Smart TV.
- Once the reset is complete, follow the on-screen instructions to complete your LG Smart TV setup.
Now LG TV keeps restarting issue will be resolved. But if the issue persists, then you might be facing this issue due to a hardware issue.
You can face this issue if the main board of your LG Smart TV is damaged. In this situation, you need to replace the mainboard with the help of a technician.
You can also get in touch with LG TV for getting help in fixing LG Smart TV keeps turning off the issue.
If this post helped you, then also check our post on how to fix the LG tv black screen of death.
Your can LG Smart TV can turn off and on itself due to heavy usage. As most Smart TV comes with less memory, when that memory is full your LG Smart TV can restart by itself to free up some memory.
You can also face LG TV keeps restarting issue due to technical glitch or hardware issue.
If your LG TV keeps turning off and red light is flashing, then you can try power cycling your LG TV by following the steps we’ve instructed above. This can help you in fixing LG TV keeps turning off.
This can also happens when you LG Smart TVs main board is damaged. In this scenario, you can either replace the main board by yourself or contact a technician for help.
If your LG Smart TV keeps turning off while or after launching the Netflix app, then try uninstalling the Netflix app. After uninstalling the Netflix app, head to the LG Content Store and reinstall it. Afterward, launch the Netflix and enjoy streaming the content without any issues.