Nowadays, with everything on the internet, there are still many situations when a USB drive can be used to play or stream content on our TV.
It’s easy and convenient to watch movies, TV shows, and other multimedia content via USB drive.
In this blog, we will discuss how to play content on LG TV using a USB drive.
What Video Format plays on LG TV from USB?
In recent years, LG TVs have included USB ports built into the TV, so they are able to play any multimedia format, including MP4, AVI, MKV, and more. Verify if your TV is compatible with USB playback by reading its manual or specifications or check the below table or visit LG Supported Video Playback page
|Drive||File Extension||Codec Format||Audio Format||Subtitle|
|USB Drive||“.avi”, “.mpg”, “.mpeg”, “.mkv”, “.mp4”, “.asf”, “.wmv”, “.m4v”(DRM free),“.vob”, “3gp”||XVID, MPEG1 SS, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS, VC-1 SM (WMV3)||Dolby Digital, DTS, MP3, WMA, AAC, AC3||SubRip (.srt / .txt), SAMI (.sml), SubStation Alpha (.ssa/.txt), MicroDVD (.sub/.txt), VobSub (.sub), SubViewer 1.0 (.sub), SubViewer 2.0 (.sub/.txt), TMPlayer (.txt), DVD Subtitle System (.txt)|
Once you have confirmed that your LG TV supports USB playback, follow these steps to play content using a USB drive:
Step 1: Format USB drive
Before playing content on your LG TV, you need to format your USB drive in a compatible file system format.
LG TVs support FAT32 and NTFS file systems. FAT32 is the most common format for USB drives and is compatible with most devices.
However, if you have large files over 4GB, you will need to use the NTFS format.
Note that formatting your USB drive will erase all data stored on it, so make sure to backup any important files before formatting.
To format your USB drive,
- Plug the USB into your desktop/laptop and head to the File Explorer.
- Right-click on the USB drive and select Format.
- Choose the file system format you want to use and click Start.
- Once the formatting is complete, your USB drive is ready to use with your LG TV.
Step 2: Transfer your Content to USB Drive
The next thing you need to do is transfer your content to the USB drive.
- Connect the USB drive to your desktop/laptop and move the files you want to stream or play on your LG TV.
- Ensure that the content is in a compatible format that your TV supports.
- If you are unsure about the format, check your TV manual or specifications for a list of supported formats.
Step 3: Connect the USB Drive to LG TV
Once you have transferred your content to the USB drive, it’s time to connect the drive to your LG TV.
- Plug the USB drive into one of the available USB ports on your LG TV.
- The location of the USB ports may vary depending on the model of your TV.
- Check your TV manual or specifications to locate the USB ports.
Step 4: Navigate to USB Content
After connecting the USB drive,
- Turn on your LG TV and press the Home button on your remote control.
- From the home screen, navigate to the Input option using the arrow buttons on the remote control.
- Now, select USB Drive.
- Afterward, select Photo and Video option (if you’ve added the Photos or Videos) or select Music (if you’ve added the Songs).
Step 5: Select and Play the Content
- Use the navigation buttons on your LG remote control to select the content you want to play.
- Once you have selected the content, press the OK button on your remote control to start playing the content.
- You can use the playback controls on your remote control to pause, rewind, or fast-forward the content.
Tip: If you’re having difficulties in playing MP4 content on your LG TV, then you need to convert your MP4 content to the compatible and supported format.
To do so, head to the Video Convertor website and convert it into the Supported Format such as MKV.