Recently I visited my friend’s house, after some food we decided to watch some sports. He owns hai Directv HD DVR, when he launched a channel there was nothing on the screen. After some tweaking and searching online we came to the conclusion that we are facing black screen issue on our DirecTV.
During our research, we found that users are facing directv black, blue, blank, and gray screen issues. Most of the time this problem is resolved with a few tweaks. We were able to fix the problem on our directv after reading some forums online.
In this post, I’ve compiled all the information you need for troubleshooting directv black screen issue.
Fixing DirecTV no picture issue
You can fix the directv black screen problem by refreshing the DirecTV, restarting your receiver, checking the cables connected between the receiver and tv, or by factory resetting your DirecTV. Read the detailed guide below for resolving the directv black screen, no picture issue.
Check the status of the program
If you are trying to play a show or program that’s already been aired, then you can get no picture issue. To check if this is the issue, then press the INFO button on DirecTV remote. Now check if the show is already aired or when then the show is going to air.
If the show is already aired or is about to air then you’ll have nothing but black on your screen. You tune in again at the time of the show to watch it. If the show is airing but still you are getting black, blue, and gray screens then you can try refreshing DirecTV.
Refresh the Directv Services
Refreshing the DirecTV services and equipment can fix the DirecTV black screen and missing channels issues. To refresh your DirecTV you can follow the steps below.
- Visit My equipment and services pages.
- Identify the impacted receiver(s) on your equipment.
- Refresh the receiver takes a minute or two and may briefly interrupt your service.
You can restart your DIRECTV receiver if refreshing the service hasn’t resolved the issue. Below I’ve shared a detailed guide on directv restarting process.
Restart Your Directv
Restarting the directv and receiver can fix missing channels and black screen issues. If you are facing a black, blue or gray screen problem then follow the steps below.
- Locate the red reset button on the side of the receiver.
- Now press the reset button and wait for the device to reboot.
Now after reboot, check if the black screen issue is resolved or not. If not then power cycle by following the steps below
- Unplug the wire from the power outlet.
- Wait for 5 minutes.
- Now plug it in.
- Now turn on the receiver by pressing the power button.
- Wait for the device to turn on.
Now that the Directv receiver has been restarted, you should be able to use it without facing black screen.
Select The Right TV Input
If the right input is not selected, then you can face a black screen problem on your tv. You need to select the right input to which the DirecTV is connected (eg. HDMI, HDMI2, TV etc).
- First of all, restart your tv and the directv receiver.
- If you have a genie remote then press and hold enter for 3-5 seconds.
- Now your tv will change inputs (hdmi1, hdmi2, components, etc.)
- Wait until you get a picture on the screen.
If this doesn’t work then press the input button on your tv. Now select the inputs one by one and see which one works. After selecting the right input you’ll get the directv channels and shows on your tv.
Check the connection between the tv and Directv receiver
If the directv wires are loose or not connected properly at the back of your tv, then you can face black, blue, and gray screen issues. Resolving this issue is very easy, follow the steps below.
- As cable connections become unplugged or changed over time, when someone switches from one device to another, make sure that the satellite receiver cable isn’t unplugged.
- Make sure that the wires are connected properly to the back of your tv and the DirecTV.
- Make sure that the wires are not damaged, if the wires are damaged then change it.
- Unplug the video cables and connect it back to both end properly.
Reset Your Directv to Factory Settings
Is your directv still showing the black, gray picture on the screen? Then factory reset is your last option, you will lose customized settings, playlists, and items added to the favorite will be lost. To factory reset your DirecTV follow the steps below.
- Locate the power button on DirecTV.
- Press and hold for 20 seconds.
Now your DirecTV will reset to factory default settings. After the factory reset, check if the directv black screen issue is resolved.
Contact DirecTV Team
If none of the steps worked for you, then you can contact directv team for help. You can explain your issues and the experts at DirecTV can help you fix this problem.