Recently updated on December 29th, 2022 at 01:00 am
Steam is a service by a valve which distributes the digital versions of video games. Steam also provides cloud storage called steam cloud, which allows its users to sync their game files on cloud storage. You can save your game settings, profile statistics, and game saves on steam cloud. If you’re wondering how to download your Steam saved games files, this post will be very helpful.
How do I download my Steam cloud saves?
All your game files are automatically downloaded when you install a game. This is not the only way to access steam cloud saves; you can also download them directly from valve’s official website.
Steps to Allow Steam Cloud Synchronization
After installing a game, if your old save states or files are not downloaded automatically, it means that steam cloud sync is disabled. You can enable steam cloud sync for a specific game, or you can also enable steam cloud for all games in the steam setting. When this function is not enabled, all your progress in the games is saved on your computer/device.
How to update steam cloud?
1. To enable steam cloud sync for a specific game. First, you need to locate the game in your steam library.
After locating, right-click on the games, click on properties, and then click on the Update tab. You’ll find the steam cloud section at the bottom; make sure Enable Steam cloud synchronization is checked. If you don’t select this option, Steam won’t download your game save stats, and it won’t upload your current progress on the steam cloud.
Note- If the game doesn’t have the option “Enable steam cloud synchronization” for the game. It means the game does not support steam cloud sync; it depends on the game developers whether they want to give this option or not.
2. To enable steam cloud sync for all games, open Steam and go to the steam setting. Click on the cloud option inside settings and enable steam cloud synchronization. When this steam cloud sync is enabled, all the games which support this function will now sync with your steam cloud storage.
Download Steam Cloud Saves on Your Browser
Once your saved files are uploaded on the steam cloud, you can download them on your browser without installing the game. Visit the official steam cloud page and log in to your steam account.
- After logging in to your steam account, you can see the games which are using your steam cloud storage.
- Search the game in the list for which you want to download save files.
- After locating, click on the “Show Files” option to check all the uploaded files.
- After that, you’ll see a list of saved files that are uploaded on your steam cloud storage with the date on which they were last modified.
- Click on Download to download any of the saved files from the list.
- Now you have the saved files of the game on your device.
This option is really helpful with multi-platform games. For example, Borderlands 2 is a multi-platform game, so that you can play it on both mac and pc. The game files from the mac version of the game will be uploaded separately on the steam cloud storage.
So, if you want to download the mac version of the game on your pc, you’ve to download the saved files and place them in the correct folder of the pc version of the game.
Steam Cloud Files Local Location
Now that we’ve learned how to download steam cloud files, we need to place them in the specified location for them to work properly. To places files in the proper location, follow the instructions below;
- Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/Userdata
- Linux: ~/.local/share/Steam/userdata
- PC: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Userdata
In the userdata you’ll see different steamIDs. SteamIDs are the different accounts that are logged in to your device. In steam id, you’ll see AppID. It is an ID of a game that is associated with the account. For example, the AppID of the game Borderlands 2 is (AppID 49520)
Now the location is;
- Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/Userdata/[steamID]/49520/
- Linux: ~/.local/share/Steam/userdata/[steamID]/49520/
- PC: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Userdata\[steamID]\49520\
How to disable steam cloud?
For some reason, if you don’t want the steam cloud to store your game information, here is the way to disable it.
For a Specific game;
- Launch the Steam application and navigate to the Library.
- Now, locate the game you want to disable the Steam cloud.
- After that, select and right-click on it, then click on the Properties.
- Click on the General tab and uncheck the box next to “Keeps games saves in the Steam Cloud for Forza Horizon 5.”
- At last, restart the Steam application and enjoy your gaming.
For all games;
- Navigate to the Steam tab at the top right corner and click on Settings.
- Now, select the Cloud tab.
- After that, uncheck the box next to “Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for applications which support it.”
These steps are to download and disable steam cloud saves on your device. We hope that we can fix this issue for you. If you’ve more queries related to the steam cloud, kindly let us know in the comment sections.
You can also read how to fix the Steam content files locked issue, which is a common one on Steam.
Related- Read our post on how to fix steam content file locked to play your games smoothly on Steam.