Skype is one of the great and oldest software that makes possible video calls, voice calls, group calls over the internet. You can also use your Skype to share images and documents or other formats of media. Skype is a really helpful tool in business, as in the current pandemic many organizations are using Skype for business purposes.
You can use skype on pc, laptop, mobile phone, and tablets. Well, people can use skype in any way. But some reason you don’t want you to use skype anymore maybe you found a better experience on some other app services. So you now want to press that magic button “delete my account”. But it doesn’t work like that in skype. There are some things you need to remember before deleting a Skype account. When you delete a skype account your Microsoft account is also deleted. Currently there isn’t any way to unlink your skype and Microsoft accounts. If you’ve decided to delete your skype account, you’ll access to Microsoft services like Xbox live, outlook, etc.
If you’ve decided, we will teach you how to delete a skype account your desktop, mobile app.
How To Delete Skype Account on Desktop App
To delete your Skype account using your desktop/Laptop follow these steps:
- . Open your skype windows app.
- Login to your skype account with your credentials.
- Now click on the three dots next to your Display name.
- Click on setting or use the shortcut ctrl+comma button.
- In the account & profile section scroll down and click on close your account option
- Now again enter your login details to proceed. This is for confirmation if you are the owner of the account.
- Now on the identity verification page, if you’re signed up using an email click on the mail id or if you’re signed up with phone number click on your number to receive a verification code on your device.
- Enter the verification code and click on the verify button.
- On the next page scroll down and click on the Next button
- Select all the options and scroll down and select the reason for your skype account closure.
- Now Click on “Mark account for closure.
- You’ll receive a mail from Microsoft that your account is set to delete in next 60 days
Close Your Skype Account on Browser
If you use Skype online follow the steps to delete your account using a web browser.
Note: You cannot use Skype online on mobile browsers
- Visit this link – http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=523898
- Now login with your Skype credentials.
- Now you are on the account owner verification page. Click on your phone number or your registered mail id to verify your identity. After clicking on your registered email/phone number, Microsoft will send you a verification code.
- Enter the verification code and click on the blue verify button.
- Scroll down and click on the Next button.
- Select all the options and scroll down to select the reason for your account deletion.
- Click on “Mark account for closure”.
Delete your Skype account on android or iOS app
If you are using Skype on your mobile devices follow the steps below to delete skype account
- Launch Skype and enter your credentials to log in.
- Click on your profile picture or display name from the top of the screen.
- Now click on settings
- In the setting click on Account & Profile.
- Click on the last option close your account, this will open a web page asking for your skype password
- Here enter your password to proceed.
- Now click on your registered mail id or if you’re using your phone number for skype click on your phone number to receive a verification code on your device.
- Enter the verification code received on your device and click on verify
- Scroll down and click on next.
- Select all the options and scroll down to select the reason for your Skype account deletion. Click on “Mark account for closure”.
- You’ll receive a message that your account is market to close in next 60 days
Skype take around 60 days to delete your account
This how you can delete your skype account on your desktop skype app, on your web browser, or using your mobile app. Instead of deleting you can also hide your skype account. In this way, you can use all the other Microsoft services without deleting your Microsoft account.
How to hide a Skype Account.
If you want to hide your skype account follow these instructions below.
- Launch your skype app
- Click on the three-dot next to your display name and click on settings.
- Now click on your profile. This opens your account page on the browser.
- Now scroll down and in the profile setting uncheck the box next to Discoverability (it is by default selected). Doing this will hide your skype account.
Conclusion: You can delete your skype account from the account & profile option. Deleting your account will also result in you losing your Microsoft account. So instead of deleting you can hide your account from the profile settings.
If you’ve anymore query related to Skype comment below. You can also read our post on How to delete Amazon account permanently in 2020.