Does HBO Max keep freezing? With the launch of the HBO Now service and the release of HBO Max, a lot has changed regarding how people watch their favorite shows. The quality of content has increased, and there is a lot more freedom now with what you can watch. There are new apps available as well, which allow you to stream multiple shows at once. However, this brings up some issues that have caused problems for many viewers who are yet to be completely comfortable with all this change.
And, if you’ve come to this page, you must be encountering the “HBO Max keeps freezing” issue on your device. If so, this post is intended for you guys; here, you’ll get all the answers to your question and fixes that’ll help you in resolving the issue.
Why does HBO Max keep freezing on Samsung Smart TV?
When you encounter screen freezing, there can be several reasons behind the occurrence of this issue. It might be a software bug or glitch causing it or another reason behind this issue.
Below, we’ve listed some of the probable reasons that can be the cause of “HBO Max keeps freezing.”
- Temporary Bug or Glitch: You may be experiencing the HBO max freezing issue because of a temporary software bug or glitch in the TV or app. Some apps are pre-installed on your device; they could develop bugs and glitches and raise the chances of such issues.
- Slow or Unstable Connection: To stream a show or movie on our device, we need a high-speed and stable internet connection. If for some reason, your internet is not working or its signals keep fluctuating, then this can lead you to such issues.
- Issue on a Specific Show: The show you’re streaming is the one having a freezing issue. Sometimes this happens when the show you’re trying to stream is having issues, but other content runs smoothly without any buffer and pause.
- The server is Down: Streaming content, and suddenly it stops and freezes at one place. There are some possibilities that there’s an outage, the servers of HBO Max went down, or it’s just a maintenance break. Some apps take a maintenance break to release the latest updates to their app.
- Using a VPN: Are you using a VPN right now? If so, it might be the reason you’re encountering the issue. Some apps stop streaming when they detect you are accessing the show through a VPN connection.
- Corrupted Cache and Data: Did you clear the cache and data of your HBO Max app? If not, this can be the reason. If you haven’t cleared the cache and data of the app for a long period, it may misbehave, and you’ll start encountering errors and problems on your app.
- Outdated HBO Max: Not updated the app to its latest release; using it on an outdated version. Then, no one can stop you from encountering such issues on your device. Also, the outdated version you are using may no longer be supported by HBO Max’s servers.
- If you want to use HBO Max on your device, you need to update it to its latest version. Keeping your app up-to-date allows the app to be compatible with your device. It also prevents and fixes app bugs and glitches.
- Outdated Samsung TV: Along with your HBO Max app, your TV also needs regular updates to prevent bugs and glitches. If your Samsung TV or another TV is running on outdated software, it may lead to such issues.
- Multiple accounts connected: Another reason you’re facing the “HBO Max keeps freezing” issue is that multiple accounts are using your HBO Max subscription. You may encounter the issue if all the accounts are active and streaming content; this can stop streaming and leads the app to freeze.
- The device is incompatible: Using the HBO Max for the first time? Is your TV compatible with HBO Max? To check this, you need to check the HBO Max supported devices list.
If it’s not on the list, we’ve got a solution for you. Go through the steps that are mentioned in this post.
How do I stop HBO Max from freezing?
To stop the HBO Max from freezing, we researched and found the solution that can surely help you. All you need to do is follow the given guide as instructed.
Restart HBO Max
The first thing you need to try is, restarting the HBO Max. Doing this will clear the minor glitches and bugs from the HBO Max app. To close the HBO Max app;
- Press the Exit button on the TV remote.
- Wait for a while.
- Re-launch the HBO Max again.
If you’re facing the issue on another device (Smartphone, laptop or tablet), try restarting the app by just Quitting the app.
Check if this resolves the issue.
Restart your Device
If restarting the HBO Max app didn’t help you, try rebooting your TV. This will clear the software glitches and bugs of the device and resolve the freezing issue. To do so,
- Press the Power button on your TV remote.
- And unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Now, wait 60 seconds and plug the TV into the wall outlet.
- After that, turn on the TV and head to the HBO Max.
- At last, try to stream a show for a while and check if it’s still freezing.
If you’re getting the issue on another device (Smartphone, laptop, or tablet), try rebooting your device and opening the HBO Max app again.
If it fails to help you, try hard resetting your TV. To do so, move on to the next method.
HBO Max keeps freezing on Vizio tv.
If you’re experiencing the “HBO Max keeps freezing” issue on your Vizio TV, try restarting your HBO Max app and TV. If that didn’t resolve the issue, try hard resetting/rebooting your Vizio TV. May doing this will fix the issue, and you’ll continue your streaming like before.
Performing the hard reset/reboot will drain all the residual power from the TV. And there were some cases before where performing the hard resetting/rebooting fixed the freezing issue. For hard reboot;
- Press the Power button on your TV panel.
- Now, unplug the TV from the wall outlet.
- And press and hold the Power button on your TV panel for 30 seconds.
- After that, plug the TV into the wall outlet and turn it on.
- At last, navigate to the HBO Max app and check if this resolves the issue.
Re-login to your account
You can try re-login to your HBO Max account; this will reset the user data and resolve the freezing issue. To re-login;
- Head to the Profile on your HBO Max app.
- Now, locate the Sign out option and select it.
- After that, wait for a while and sign in to your account.
- Lastly, try to stream the show or movie you’re encountering the issue with and check if it’s still freezing or not.
Another possible reason for experiencing the “HBO Max keeps freezing” issue is server outage. In this scenario, you need to check if there is any server outage or maintenance break from HBO Max.
To check this, visit downdetector.com and check the server status of HBO Max. There you’ll get all the latest information about HBO Max, the recent tweets by HBO related to the issue, and a discussion page where users report the issue they’re facing.
Watch another show
Restarting the TV and app didn’t fix the issue; maybe the show or movie you’re trying to stream is unavailable or removed (but showing on the app) from HBO Max, which is why you’re experiencing the freezing issue.
To check whether your desired show is freezing or another show is also freezing while trying to stream. If another show is also freezing, report your problem to HBO Max or head to the last method and visit the link.
HBO Max keeps freezing on Roku
Are you encountering the issue while streaming HBO Max on your Roku device/TV? Try restarting the app, Roku tv, re-login to your account, and the following methods and steps that are given below.
Related Post: HBO Max not working on Roku
Try to Stream another App
If you’re able to stream another movie or show without any freezing issue on HBO max. Then, ensure to check whether your device is causing the issue or if there’s another reason behind it.
To check this, try to launch another streaming app on your TV and start streaming a show. It might be an issue with your TV if it is freezing. Be with us; we’ve penned down the steps that’ll help you in resolving the issue.
Check the internet connection.
Another thing you need to check is how well your internet connection is working. As you know, to stream content on a streaming app, we need a high-speed, stable and reliable internet connection. And to stream content on HBO Max flawlessly requires a minimum speed of 5-10 Mbps.
If your HBO Max keeps freezing, it’s a sign of your internet connection. Try to check the internet speed you’re getting now. To check this, visit speedtest.net or fast.com; if you’re getting a low internet speed, try troubleshooting your router and modem. To do so,
- Unplug the router or modem adapter from the wall outlet.
- Wait for 3-5 minutes.
- And plug the adapter back into the wall outlet.
Wait until the network establishes properly. And once done, run the speed test again and check if the internet started working properly or not. If it starts working fine, launch the HBO Max app and try to stream the content that’s freezing.
Turn off VPN
Some of us use VPNs to connect to the internet, change the location of our device, hide the IP address, and use apps. However, some VPNs are inefficient and could cause lags and delays on your network.
If you’re using a VPN connection, it might be the reason why your HBO max keeps on freezing. To get rid of this, try to disable and turn off your VPN service.
And, if HBO Max is not available in your area. Try to use a premium VPN service.
HBO Max keeps freezing on Xfinity
One of our close ones encountered this issue while streaming a movie on HBO Max on his Xfinity TV, and suddenly his movie got stuck in one place. But, somehow, he managed to resolve the issue. But how?
He cleared the cache and data of the HBO Max app and rebooted his Xfinity TV, logged in to his HBO Max account, and he again started streaming the movie.
Clear HBO Max Cache and Data
Try clearing the HBO Max cache and data if the issue is still here.
How do you reset HBO Max?
- Head to the Settings of your TV.
- Now, scroll down to the Apps section,
- After that, locate the HBO Max app.
- At last, select Clear Cache and Data and press OK.
Or, If you’re facing the issue on another device (Smartphone or tablet).
- Head to the Settings of your device.
- Select Apps & Notifications > Apps info > HBO Max.
- And clear the Cache and Data.
Now, the HBO Max app’s corrupted or damaged cache and data are cleared. And the issue should be fixed now. Reboot your TV/Device and launch the HBO Max app, sign in to your account using the credentials and check to see if the issue persists.
Clear Browser cache and cookies
If you’re using the HBO Max streaming website and encountering the “Freezing issue,” try clearing the browser cookies and cache.
Below are the steps that’ll help you in doing so;
- Open the Browser on your device and click on More Options.
- Now, select Settings > Privacy & Security.
- After that, select the Time Range and choose All Time.
- At last, click on the Clear Data, and check the cache and cookies boxes.
After clearing the cache and cookies of the Browser, log in to your HBO Max account and check if this fixes the issue.
Disable Browser Extension
If you’re still encountering the issue on your HBO Max website, try to disable the extensions installed on your Browser.
To disable the browser extensions;
- Head to the More Options and click on Settings.
- Now, navigate to the Extensions option on the right pane.
- After that, turn off all the Extensions installed on your Browser.
After disabling the extension, visit the HBO Max website and check if this resolves the issue. If it persists, change your Browser or report the problem to HBO Max.
Or, try installing the HBO Max app on your device.
Update the app
As stated in the causes section, if you’re using an outdated application of HBO Max, then the version you are using may no longer be supported by HBO Max’s servers, and you may encounter such issues. So, try to check if there’s any update available for your HBO Max app;
- Head to the Application store on your TV.
- Now, navigate to the Manage Apps & Devices or apps section.
- After that, locate your app and check if there’s any update available for HBO Max.
- If there’s any, download it.
After updating the HBO Max to its latest version, your issue should be resolved. An update comes with new features and fixed bugs and glitches.
Reinstall the HBO Max
Updating the HBO Max to its latest release didn’t help. Well, try to reinstall the app. Maybe there’s some corrupted or damaged data remaining that is not cleared even after clearing the cache and data of the app. Uninstalling the app will delete all its related files. To do so,
- Head to the Settings of your TV.
- And, scroll to the Apps & Notifications or Manage Installed Apps.
- Now, locate the HBO Max app and select Uninstall or remove.
- After that, wait a while and head to the Application store on your TV.
- Lastly, download the HBO Max app and log in to your account.
If you’re facing the issue on another device (Smartphone or tablet),
- Tap and Hold the HBO Max > Uninstall.
- Then, head to the Play/App Store and search for HBO Max.
- After that, install it and sign in to your account.
- At last, start streaming it; the issue must be fixed now.
Update your Device
Updating the latest software on your device will fix the bugs that are causing the issue and also keep your device compatible with your HBO Max app.
- Head to the Settings of your TV/Device.
- Now, head to the System > About.
- After that, select Software Update and then select Check for updates.
- If there’s any, download it and update your TV/Device to its latest software.
If you’re still encountering the issue, there’s a way to stream HBO Max without freezing.
Cast HBO Max
If the “HBO Max keeps freezing” issue persists, try to cast your phone to your TV and stream whatever you want to.
On Samsung Smart TV;
- Download the SmartThings app on your Smartphone.
- Ensure that your Smartphone and TV are connected to the same network.
- Open the SmartThings app on your Smartphone and then click on the Devices.
- After that, tap on Add Device > Sign in to your Samsung account (if prompted).
- Select your TV in the list and tap on the three dots (at the top right corner of your screen).
- Lastly, tap on Mirror Screen > Start Now and open the HBO Max app on your Smartphone.
Enjoy your desired or favorite shows and movies.
Use a Streaming Stick
If you don’t want to cast your Smartphone to your Tv every time. You may go for an alternative option; try to ask your friend for a streaming stick. If they’ve one, bring it to your home, connect the Streaming stick with your TV, and start streaming the content you want.
If you like this little thing, go and buy a new one.
Report HBO Max
If you don’t want to use the streaming stick and want to use HBO Max on your device. Then, contact HBO Max and explain your issue and ask them to provide you with some solutions.
Contact Device Support
If the customer support of HBO Max denies that this problem is not from their end, try contacting your device customer support whether it’s Samsung, Xfinity, Roku, LG, or Apple. Explain and ask them to provide you with some troubleshooting steps or assign a technician to fix the issue.
Also Check: How to fix Firestick Keeps Freezing
More Helpful Guides: