YouTube is a video streaming platform online. Everyone loves to watch their favorite videos like music, trailers on YouTube. Youtube stop playing videos is one of the common issues faced by YouTube users. This error occurs due to corrupted cache and cookies data, weak internet connection, or when YouTube is down. Below are some of the common reasons behind YouTube videos won’t play and how can you fix this issue on your device.
Reasons For YouTube Videos Stop Playing
Below are some of the reasons for youtube videos won’t play:
- Internet issue– YouTube videos will not play and keep buffering if the internet connection is not strong enough. If the internet connection is not strong or not working then you can face issues while streaming on YouTube.
- Incorrect date and time issue- YouTube can misbehave or not work properly if the date and time are set properly.
- Browser issue– PC users use browsers like chrome, safari, Firefox, edge to streaming YouTube videos online. You can face issues if the browser is outdated or corrupted data is stored in browser cache and cookies.
- Temporary device issue- You can also face such issues if some files are corrupted on your pc which can lead to a temporary glitch. A simple restart will most likely fix the issue.
- YouTube is down: YouTube videos won’t play if YouTube is down or facing server issues
Well, these are the main reasons behind YouTube videos not playing. You can follow the troubleshooting steps below to fix youtube videos won’t play on pc and mobile devices.
Note: Before performing these troubleshooting steps check if the YouTube is working properly. You check YouTube working status at downdetector or you can visit Twitter and Facebook and visit the official page for notices.
How to Fix YouTube Videos Not Playing
Restart your phone
If you’re facing issues while streaming videos on the YouTube mobile application. Then sometimes a simple restart of your phone can fix the issue. As many people don’t know that issues like YouTube pin to zoom full screen not working and YouTube videos buffering can be fixed by a reboot of your mobile device. Hold the power button on your phone then tap on the restart or reboot option. If you’re unable to find the restart option then shut down your phone for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds turn your device on check if the YouTube videos not playing are fixed on your device.
Check Your Internet Connection
Before playing a youtube videos check that your mobile device is properly connected to the internet. If the internet is not connected or working then you can face this issue on youtube. Make sure the internet is working, check internet speed go to the speed test website, and check your internet speed.
Some common fixes to resolve low internet speed
- If you’re on Wi-Fi then try restarting your Wi-Fi.
- Move your device closer to the streaming device and make sure to place the Wi-Fi router at a higher place (this will improve your Wi-Fi strength).
- If you’re on mobile data check if you’ve proper networks.
- If not working connect your mobile device to Wi-Fi or change the network you’re currently using.
- In case if slow internet is the culprit then contact your ISP for help.
Set Proper Date and Time
If the date and time are not configured properly then you can face the youtube videos buffering and loading issues on your mobile device. To configure date and time settings follow the steps below:
- Go to settings>Additional settings>Date and Time and then set the option Set Automatically turn on.
- You can also correct the date and time manually.
- Now restart your mobile device and check if the issue is fixed.
Clear YouTube Application Cache
Every android application stores cache and date for a smooth experience in future use. Sometimes these caches get corrupted and cause the issue. If this is the case then follow the steps below to clear the cache and data of the Youtube app:
- Open settings in your device.
- Tap on apps and then manage apps and find YouTube.
- Now tap on storage usage.
- From here clear YouTube cache and data
Restart your phone and check if the YouTube videos not playing issue is resolved.
Update YouTube Application
Updates bring fixes and improvements to the applications. If you’re using an outdated Youtube app then you can face issues while streaming youtube videos. You can follow the steps to update your youtube app
- Open google play Store on your device.
- Tap on the hamburger sign on the top left corner.
- Select My apps and games option.
- Choose YouTube from the list and update it.
- Now restart your device and check if the issue is resolved on your phone
Restore YouTube Back to Factory Version
If you’re facing this issue after a recent update then you can roll back to the factory version of the youtube application. Doing this will resolve any issue on your youtube app.
- Go to settings.
- Now tap on apps or app management from the option.
- Locate and tap on YouTube from the list
- Now tap on the three dots from the top right side of the screen and tap on uninstall updates.
- After doing this you’ll restore your YouTube app to its factory version.
Now check if the YouTube videos buffering or not playing issue is fixed on your phone.
Tips: Try lowering your streaming quality this can fix the videos not playing or buffering issue if you’re using YouTube on weak or slow network.
Related: Youtube full screen not working
Clear the Cache of Google Play Services
Youtube uses google play store data to provide you with a better user experience. Sometimes clearing the google play services data can fix the youtube videos not playing on an android device.
- Tap on the settings menu and open up.
- Go to the apps and one tap to open and select the manage apps option.
- Select google play services from the list and tap on clear data.
- Select clear cache and ok to confirm it
Perform System Update
If you’re using an older version of android then you can come across an issue in using the app. Because sometimes the apps are not compatible or fully optimized for older versions of android. To fix this you can simply update your software to the latest version. This will fix the issue. To update your device go to settings and scroll down and search for the software update option. From there you can update your device to the latest version.
Use Different Play Store Account
If you’re still facing the issue you can add a new google account to your android device.
- Open your phone’s settings
- Scroll down and tap on users and accounts
- Now tap on add account
- Now sign in to a new google account
Open YouTube and use that new account for streaming. If this doesn’t help it most likely that YouTube is having an issue on their end. Check for YouTube server outage at downdetector, isthisdownrightnow, or on social media
Related: How to watch deleted YouTube videos
Fix YouTube Videos Not Playing on PC
Check your network connection
The first thing you should check is your internet connection. Follow the steps below to check the internet connection and resolve youtube videos not playing or buffering.
- Shut down your computer and turn off your Wi-Fi. Now unplug both from the power socket for 30 seconds. Turn on your computer and your Wi-Fi. Now connect and check if the YouTube videos not playing error is fixed or not.
- Move your router closer to your laptop or desktop and place it higher than the streaming device.
- Use ethernet cable for connecting your pc to your router for a better internet connection.
- If none of the above steps helped in resolving the issue then contact your ISP for help with your internet connection.
Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
Clear cache and cookies in chrome
- Open chrome and press the Ctrl+Shift+Delete key simultaneously.
- Click on the advanced tab and in the time range select all time.
- Now click on clear data
Clear browser cache and cookies in Mozilla Firefox.
- Launch Firefox and click on the gear icon
- Click on the privacy and setting option and scroll down to the cookies and site data section
- Now click on clear data… and click on clear to confirm.
- After clearing data and cookies check if the error is fixed on your pc.
Tip: Try incognito mode of browser to see if YouTube videos is playing properly in incognito window or not. If the YouTube videos is playing properly then a corrupted extension or cache is reason for the issue.
Update Your Browser
Sometimes an outdated browser can cause a lot of issues while accessing some sites. If this is the case then you can YouTube videos keeps buffering issue. To fix this issue you can try updating your browser chrome, Firefox, edge to their latest version. You can download the latest version of your browser from their official website or you can also update or download them from the Microsoft store. After the update check if the YouTube videos not playing issue is resolved on your PC.
Tips: You can try other browsers on your pc to see if the YouTube videos play on that browser properly. If you’re facing this issue on chrome then try installing Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Opera browser.
Related: YouTube search filters not working
Remove chrome extensions.
In such a scenario we’ve found much time that an extension is a culprit for the issue. Extensions help in improving the browser experience but it can also cause the browser to misbehave in some conditions. You can try removing chrome extensions from your browser and check if that fixes YouTube videos not streaming issue
- Open google chrome on your computer and click on three vertical dots.
- Select more tools and then extensions or you can simply type and search chrome://extensions/ from the URL box.
- Now try removing extensions from your browser and check which one is the culprit for YouTube videos not playing issue.
- Go to Firefox settings by clicking on the gear icon from the top right of the screen
- Now click on extensions from the left side of the screen.
- Again click on the extension and now from the manage extension section remove the extension and check which one fixes the issue.
Disable Chrome Hardware Acceleration
Hardware acceleration help in fixing high ram usage in chrome but it also sometimes breaks the website while rendering. You can disable chrome hardware acceleration and check if that fixes the issue.
- Click on the three-dot from the top right side and click on settings or you can simply type and search chrome://settings/ from the url box to open chrome settings.
- Now scroll down to the bottom and toggle off use hardware acceleration when available
After disabling hardware acceleration check if you’re able to play YouTube videos on your pc.
If this helped you in fixing YouTube videos not playing kindly let us know from the comment box. You can also check our post on how to fix there was an issue signing into YouTube