Vizio Tv is an excellent name in the TV industry. They always strive to provide the best quality to their users without breaking the users’ bank. However, you may have to face various issues on your device.
And, Vizio TV stuck on downloading software/firmware updates is one of the common problems and a frustrating experience for most people. It has happened to us at droidtheory, and it’s happened to many others in the past. A lot of people have attempted to fix their stuck Vizio tv and failed.
Don’t worry; we are here to help you. Today we’ll discuss what’s causing this issue and what measures you can try to resolve it.
How long does it take for Vizio TV to update firmware?
The best part is that updating and installing the latest firmware on your Vizio TV will not take as long. Updating the firmware generally takes a while, but it also depends on your internet speed and how many updates there are.
What you can do is, put your Tv on firmware update and complete your unfinished work. And later, you’ll find that your Tv is updated to its latest software/firmware update.
If it’s stuck on downloading the software/firmware updates, this post will help you in resolving the issue. All you need to do is, follow the instructions and methods given in this post.
Why is my Vizio TV taking so long to download update?
As we stated above, downloading an update on Vizio TV generally takes a few minutes. But there are some instances where it can get stuck, and you need to turn it off and restart it again.
But why are you encountering such an issue? What’s the reason behind it? Well, there are different kinds of reasons that can stop or slow down your firmware updates and below are some;
- Weak or Poor Internet Connection: It’s one of the probable reasons why your updates are stuck on downloading. In most cases, a weak, slow or poor internet connection causes such issues and slows your downloading. To prevent this, you can try restarting your network.
- Temporary Bug or Glitch: You might be encountering “Vizio TV stuck on downloading software/firmware updates” due to temporary glitches or bugs in the TV. If this is the case, it will be fixed quickly.
- Wrong Configuration: Another possible reason is the bad configuration of your router. If your router is wrongly configured, you may face such issues on your device. You need to reconfigure or use the ethernet cable to get rid of this. Doing this will increase the internet speed and optimize your router’s bandwidth.
How to fix Vizio TV stuck on downloading software/firmware updates?
Here we’ve gathered and penned down the solutions that are easy to follow and have the potential to resolve the “Vizio Tv stuck on downloading software updates” issue.
Check the internet
The first thing you need to do is check whether your internet is working fine or not. If not, try restarting the router and modem. Restarting the router and modem refreshes the connection and provides a better connection.
It happened to us at droidtheory; sometimes, our internet stops responding, signal losses and restarting the router resolves the case. So, try restarting your router and modem.
- Unplug the Adapter from the power outlet.
- Wait for 60 seconds, and sometimes you’ll have to wait 2-3 minutes.
- After that, plug the adapter back into the power outlet.
And, your internet will start working fine. Check if this resumes the downloading software updates on your Vizio TV.
Reposition your router
If the last step doesn’t work, try repositioning your router. Your Vizio Tv might not be getting a good WiFi signal. In this case, moving the router near your TV will work for you.
If there’s no space for positioning your router, try to get a wifi-repeater. It will connect to your network wirelessly and broadcast your current WiFi signals.
Check whether doing this fixes the issue or not.
Now, the internet is working fine, and you repositioned your router, but your TV is still stuck on downloading the software updates. To fix this, try a soft power cycle;
Here’s how to do it;
- Press the Menu button on your Vizio remote.
- Now, head to the System > Reset & Admin > Power Cycle.
- After selecting the power cycle, your Tv will Turn off and Reboot.
Once the soft power cycle completes, navigate to your TV update section and try to resume the update. Check if the issue is resolved.
Power Reboot your VIZIO TV
As we discussed, you might be encountering the “Vizio TV stuck on downloading software/firmware updates” due to some temporary bugs or glitches in the TV software, and it can be easily fixed. So, here’s the method to fix it.
If you haven’t tried to restart your Tv, restart it now by following the below-given steps;
- Turn off your Vizio Tv and unplug the power cable from the wall outlet.
- Now, wait for 5 minutes.
- After that, plug the power cable back into the wall outlet and turn on the TV.
Afterwards, head to the Updates section and start updating your firmware to its latest release. If this doesn’t help you;
Try to leave your Tv powered off for some time, and later, start downloading the update.
How do you force a firmware update on a Vizio TV?
Try to restart the app manually;
- Press the V button on your Vizio remote.
- Now, select System > Check for Updates.
- Your TV will start checking for the latest available updates.
- Restart the update, download it and update your TV to the latest software/firmware.
Try another network
Still, stuck at downloading the software/firmware updates? Did you try connecting your TV to another network? If not, try it for once. May changing the network resolve your issue, there were instances where the WiFi was working fine, but still, users could not download the updates.
Some users connected their Vizio TV to another network (like smartphones or neighbors), and they were able to download the update on their Vizio TV. So, try connecting your TV to another available network and check if this works for you.
Related Post: Vizio Smartcast Grey Screen
Check for any interference
You might be encountering the issue due to the listed reason. Check and prevent your Tv from the following interferences;
Some routers are using the same frequency. It happens when you reside in an apartment building; this type of interference can happen frequently. To prevent this, try to change the frequency of your router and check if it fixes the issue.
Also, ensure there’s no wall between your router and Tv. This can also raise the chances of interference between the router and Tv.
Another thing you need to ensure is that there are no electronic devices, such as microwaves, or baby monitors, near your Vizio TV or router.
Use ethernet cable
Do you have an ethernet cable at your home? If you have, try connecting it to your TV and router. There might be some issue with your Wireless connection causing the “Vizio TV stuck on downloading updates”.
And connecting the ethernet cable will improve your Tv’s signal strength and internet speed. May using and connecting the ethernet cable resume your software updates.
Use a 2.4GHz wireless connection
Are you using the 5GHz wireless connection to connect your TV? In this scenario, try to set your connection to the 2.4GHz frequency band.
Use the 2.4GHz connection, head to the WiFi on your Vizio TV and connect to your WiFi. Don’t connect your TV with the WiFi, which has 5G or 5GHz at the end of the WiFi name.
If you want to set your WiFi frequency band to 2.4GHz, then;
Here’s how to do it;
- Enter the IP Address on your browser – 192.168.0.1.
- Now, leave the user field empty and use Admin as the password.
- After that, select Wireless > 802.11 and then select 2.4GHz.
- Lastly, reboot your TV and connect it to 2.4GHz.
Reset your VIZIO TV
Here’s the last step you can try: resetting your Vizio TV to its default factory settings. But be aware that resetting your TV to default settings will delete all the saved content, apps (that you’ve installed), and files from your TV.
How do I reset my Vizio TV?
Here’s the way to do it;
- Press the Menu button on your Vizio remote.
- Now, navigate to the System > Reset & Admin.
- After that, select Reset TV to Factory Defaults and enter your PIN or 0000 (default pin).
- At last, choose Reset, and it will take a while to finish.
Once your TV is reset to its out-of-box settings, set up your TV, head to the Updates, and download the latest firmware updates.
Skip the update
You are here; it means nothing is helping you out. Firstly, we suggest you follow the steps mentioned above once again. If the progress bar of the update is still stuck at the same percentage, press the Skip button.
Wait until VIZIO releases another update for your TV.
Contact VIZIO Support
If you badly want to update your TV’s software/firmware to its latest release, try contacting VIZIO customer support. Explain the issue you’re experiencing and ask them to provide the solutions or troubleshooting methods.
Also check: Is your Firestick Stuck on Downloading Updates