Recently updated on October 2nd, 2022 at 12:53 pm
Some TCL Roku TV and Roku streaming stick owners are experiencing black screens. Sometimes, users get a black screen with some sound. Sometimes, after turning on the TV without any issue, they get a black screen after 5 or 10 minutes. Some users have also experienced a black flickering screen on their TCL Roku TV or Roku streaming stick.
Why is my Roku showing a black screen?
There are many reasons behind this issue; some of them are mentioned below:
- The streaming stick is not plugged in properly.
- A temporary glitch on your TCL Roku TV can cause the black screen issue.
- Your internet is not working.
- The backlight of your TCL Roku TV is having an issue.
These are some of the most common reasons why you now see a black screen on your TCL Roku TV.
How to Fix Black Screen on TCL Roku Tv?
You can fix a black screen on a TCL Roku TV by power cycling it, checking the remote, replacing the batteries (if needed), checking the cables, connecting the Roku TV directly to the outlet, adjusting the picture settings, updating the software, or resetting the Roku TV to default settings.
Power cycle your Roku
Sometimes, you can get a black screen on your TCL Roku TV because of a technical glitch. The simplest way to fix this issue is to power cycle your Roku TV.
- Make sure your TV is turned on. To check this, you can press the Volume up button and hear the sound from your TV.
- Now pull the plug of your TCL Roku TV from the power socket.
- Leave it unplugged for 30-60 seconds.
- Put the plug back into the pocket socket and turn on your TCL Roku TV.
- Now you’ll see the Roku dancing logo on your screen.
Now try streaming anything on your TV; you’ll not get a black screen on your TCL Roku TV. Also, make sure that all the cables or wires on your TV are correctly installed. A loose cable caused the black screen issue on Roku devices.
Related: Fix roku error code 016
Power Cycle Your TCL TV with this Alternate Method
You can also try this alternate method to power cycle your TCL TV.
- Turn off your TCL TV.
- Now unplug it from the power outlet.
- Press and hold the physical Power button on your TCL TV for 20 seconds.
- Now, wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Plugin your TCL TV into the power outlet.
- Turn it on.
Now check if the TCL TV no picture issue is resolved or not.
Tip: Resetting audio/video settings can sometimes fix the issue. Press home>settings>system>advanced settings>factory reset>reset TV audio/picture settings now press play/pause button 3 times. This will reset your audio/pictures settings.
Check Your TCL TV Remote For Issues
If the remote is not working, then you’ll not be able to power on your TCL TV. In such cases, you’ll get no picture on your TCL TV. To fix this problem, you can follow some troubleshooting steps mentioned below.
Power cycle your remote
- Remove all the batteries from your Roku remote.
- Wait for 5 minutes.
- Now put the battery back into the remote.
Now check if you’re able to power on the TV with the remote or not.
If the TCL’s batteries are dead, then you won’t be able to turn on your TCL Roku TV. You’ll get a black screen and no sound. Now to fix this problem, you need to swap the old batteries with new ones. After changing the batteries, check if you’re able to turn on your TCL TV or not.
Restart your Roku TV using remote
If you’re getting a black screen on your Roku TCL TV, then this resetting method will help you. This method has helped many users in the past to reset their TCL Roku TV while having a black screen. Below is the button combination you need to follow to reset your TCL Roku TV.
- Press the Home button five times,
- Up button once,
- Rewind button twice,
- Fast forward button twice.
Now let the reset process complete; it can take between 30 seconds to one minute. After that, try streaming anything on your TV; you’ll not get the black screen issue on your Roku TV.
Tip: If your brightness is too high, try resetting the settings on your TCL Roku TV. This can help you in fixing the black screen issue on the Roku TV.
Related: Fix roku error code 009
Tweak Fast Start Option on Roku Tv
Some users have reported that enabling or disabling the fast start option on their Roku TV fixed the black screen issue. To make changes to fast start settings on your Roku TV, follow the steps below:
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Now go to the Settings option.
- Select System.
- Select the Power option.
- Now, if the fast start is disabled, enable it. If it is enabled and you’re still getting the error, then disable it.
Now after making these changes, check if you’re getting the black screen on your Roku TV or not.
Check The Cable Connected to TCL TV
If you are getting some flickering image, then a black screen on your TCL TV. This means that your TCL TV is not getting video input. This can happen when the cable connected to the video or HDMI port is halfway connected. To fix this problem, you can do the things we mentioned below.
- Ensure the cables or streaming devices are properly connected to their respective ports.
- If you are not sure if the cable is connected correctly. Then remove the cable from the video or the streaming device from the HDMI port. Now plug it in again all the way into the port. Make sure the device is connected properly.
If all the cables are properly connected to the back of the TCL Roku TV, then black screen issue will be fixed.
Change the HDMI port
If the device is connected to the damaged HDMI port, then your TCL TV will show no picture. You can start getting black screen issues on your TCL TV. To fix this problem, you need to connect the device to another HDMI port.
- Remove the device from TCL TV damaged port.
- Connect your device to another HDMI port.
Now you’ll start getting the picture on your TCL Roku TV, and no picture will be resolved.
Change the wall outlet or connect tcl tv directly to outlet
If you are using an extension to power your TCL TV, you can face a black screen issue. This can happen when the extension is not able to provide enough power for TCL Roku TV to work properly. This can lead to a TCL Roku TV black screen issue.
In this case, you can fix the problem by connecting your TCL Roku TV directly to the wall. Now turn on the TV and check if no picture issue is resolved.
If not, then try connecting your TCL TV to another port. Sometimes if the port is damaged, your TCL TV will get no power. This can cause the black screen issue on your TCL Roku TV. Connecting your TCL Roku TV to another power outlet can help in fixing TCL no-picture issue.
Check the Status of LED Indicator
Check if the status light below your TCL Roku TV is glowing or not? If the status light is not glowing, then your TCL TV is not receiving power.
In this case, you’ll get no picture and no sound on your TCL Roku or TCL android TV.
To fix this problem, try unplugging your TCL TV from the power outlet, then reconnecting your TCL power cable to the board properly. Turn on the switch and check if the TCL TV is getting power or not.
If your TCL TV is still not getting the power, then unplug the power cable and plug it into another power outlet. Now try turning your TCL TV on; if this was the problem, then black screen issue will be resolved on your TCL TV.
Change Picture Mode Settings
Some TCL Roku TV owners were able to fix this issue by changing the picture mode settings. You can also try changing the picture mode settings by following the steps below.
- On your Roku remote, press the start * button. Now select picture mode.
- Change the Picture mode to the Movie.
After making these changes, the black screen problem will be fixed on your TCL Roku TV.
Update Your Roku Device
Sometimes a pending firmware update or outdated firmware can cause a black screen problem on your TCL Roku TV. You can update your TCL TV by following the steps below.
- On your Roku remote, press the Home button.
- Press the UP or Down key and scroll to select Settings.
- Locate and select the System and then System Update.
- Here you will find the current Roku software version and the build version with the date and time. Select Check Now; if any updates are available, it will download and install them automatically.
Factory Reset TCL TV With Black Screen
If you’re facing a black screen issue, you’ll be unable to access the menus and options. In this scenario, you can follow the steps below to reset TCL TV with no picture.
- Find the Reset button located at the back of your TCL TV.
- After locating, get a pin, pen, or a clip.
- With the help of the pin, press and hold the Reset button.
- Keep holding until your TCL TV turn off and turns on.
- Once the TCL TV is turned on, release the button.
- Now follow the on-screen instruction to complete the setup.
Resetting your TCL TV with the help of the reset button located on the back of your TCL TV can fix the black screen problem.
Factory Reset Your TCL TV
If you’re getting a black screen after 5-10 minutes of turning on your TV. Then try resetting the TCL Roku to factory settings (note: doing this will erase everything from your Roku TV):
- Press the Home button on the Roku remote.
- Now go to the Settings option.
- Select the System option, then select Advanced Settings.
- Now select the Factory reset option and then select Factory reset.
- Now enter the pin to confirm.
- Wait till the reset process is complete.
- Now, set up your TV again.
After setting up your Roku TV, you’ll not get the black screen issue on your TV.
Also check: Fix smartcast tv not available
How to fix black screen on Roku streaming stick
If you’re not able to see anything on your screen due to a black screen. Then you can follow the following button combination on the Roku streaming stick remote to restart it.
- Hit the Home button twice (this is to ensure you are absolutely at the beginning point).
- Press Up,
- Down 3 times,
- Now press OK.
If you do this correctly, you’ll see the Roku logo on your screen after some time, and you’ll not face the black screen issue on your Roku streaming stick.
Install Roku streaming stick properly
If the Roku streaming stick is not installed or inserted correctly into the TV HDMI slot, you can face the black screen issue on your TV.
To fix this:
- Unplug the stick from the TV, then plug it back into your TV.
- While putting it in, push it a little further to avoid any chances of loose connection.
- Turn it on and check if this fixes the issue or not.
You can also try using an HDMI; this will fix the overheating issue of the Roku stick, and you’ll most likely not face the black screen issue on your Roku TV.
Replace TCL Roku TV or Roku Stick
In some cases, you need to contact the TCL Roku TV for fixing TCL Roku TV. If the backlight is damaged, the main power is damaged, or the TCL TV is showing a black screen due to a hardware issue. Then you can replace your TCL Roku TV because repairing your TCL Roku can cost as much as buying a new one. So you can buy a new TCL Roku TV or Roku stick.
Contact TCL Roku
If you’re still getting the black screen on your Roku TV, then you can try contacting TCL Roku or Roku for help.
As many users have said that they are facing this issue on TCL Roku because of the led backlight. Due to some reason, the led on the Roku TV stopped working, which causes the black screen issue on Roku TV.