Many TCL Roku tv and Roku streaming stick owner are getting a black on their tv. Sometimes users get a black screen with some sound, sometimes users can turn on the tv without any issue but after 5 or 10 minutes of streaming, they are getting the black screen. Some users have also reported that they are getting a black flickering screen on their TCL Roku tv or while using a Roku streaming stick.
Why is my Roku showing a black screen?
There are many reasons behind this issue some of them are mentioned below:
- The streaming stick is not plugged in properly.
- A temporary glitch on your TCL Roku tv can cause the black screen issue.
- Your internet is not working.
- The backlight of your TCL Roku tv is having an issue.
These are some of the most common reasons due to which you are now seeing a black screen on your TCL Roku tv.
How to Fix Black Screen on TCL Roku Tv?
Power cycle your Roku
Sometimes because of a technical glitch, you can get a black screen on your TCL Roku tv. The simplest way to fix this issue is to power cycle your Roku tv.
- Make sure your tv is turned on, to check this you can press the volume up button then you’ll hear sound from your tv.
- Now pull the plug of your TCL Roku tv from the power socket.
- Leave it unplugged for 30-60 seconds.
- Put the plug back into the pocket socket and turn on your TCL Roku tv.
- Now you’ll the Roku dancing logo on your screen.
Now try streaming anything on your tv you’ll not get a black screen on your TCL Roku tv. Also, make sure that all the cables or wires on your tv are installed properly. A loose cable cause the black screen issue on Roku devices.
Related: Fix roku error code 016
Power Cycle Your TCL TV with this Alternate Method
You can also try this alternate method to power cycle your tcl tv.
- Turn off your tcl tv.
- Now unplug it from the power outlet.
- Press and hold the physical power button on your tcl tv for 20 seconds.
- Now wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Plugin your tcl tv into the power outlet.
- Turn it on.
Now check if the tcl tv no picture issue is resolved or not.
Tip: Resetting audio/video settings can sometimes fix the issue. Press home>settings>system>advanced settings>factory reset>reset tv audio/picture settings now press play/pause button 3 times. This will reset your audio/pictures settings.
Check Your TCL TV Remote For Issues
If the remote is not working, then you’ll not be able to power on your tcl tv. In such cases, you’ll get no picture on your tcl tv. To fix this problem you can follow some troubleshooting steps mentioned below
Power cycle your remote
- Remove all the batteries from your roku remote.
- Wait for 5 minutes.
- Now put the battery back into the remote.
Now check if you’re able to power on the tv with the remote or not.
If the tcl’s batteries is dead, then you won’t be able to turn on your tcl roku tv. You’ll get a black screen and no sound. Now to fix this problem, you need to swap the old batteries with new ones. After changing the batteries, check if you’re able to turn on your tcl tv or not.
Restart your Roku TV using remote
If you’re getting a black screen on your Roku TCL tv then this resetting method will help you. This method has helped many users in past to reset their TCL Roku tv while having a black screen. Below is the button combination you need to follow to reset your TCL Roku tv.
- Home five times
- Up once
- Rewind twice
- Fast forward twice
Now let the reset process complete, it can between 30 seconds to one minute. After that try streaming anything on your tv, you’ll not get the black screen issue on your Roku tv.
Tip: If your brightness is too high then try resetting the brightness settings on your TCL Roku tv. This can help you in fixing the black screen issue on the Roku tv.
Related: Fix roku error code 009
Tweak Fast Start Option on Roku Tv
Some users have reported that enabling or disabling the fast start option on their Roku tv fixed the black screen issue. To make changes to fast start settings on your Roku tv follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your Roku remote.
- Now go to the settings option.
- Select system
- Select the power option.
- Now if the fast start is disabled enable it. If it is enabled and you’re still getting the error then disable it.
Now after making these changing check if you’re getting the black screen on your Roku tv or not.
Check the Status of LED Indicator
Check if the status light below your tcl roku tv is glowing or not? If the status light is not glowing, then your tcl tv is not receiving power. In this case you’ll get no picture and no sound on your tcl roku or tcl android tv. To fix this problem try unplugging your tcl tv from the power outlet then reconnect your tcl power cable to the board properly. Turn on the switch and check if the tcl tv is getting the power or not. If your tcl tv is still not getting the power, then unplug the power cable and plug it into another power outlet. Now try turning your tcl tv on, if this was the problem then black screen issue will be resolved on your tcl tv.
Change Picture Mode Settings
Some tcl roku tv owners were able to fix this issue by changing the picture mode settings. You can also try changing picture mode settings by following the steps below.
- On your roku remote press the start * button. Now select picture mode.
- Change the picture mode to movie.
Now after making these changes black screen problem will be fixed on your tcl roku tv.
Update Your Roku Device
Sometimes a pending firmware update or outdated firmware can cause black screen problem on your tcl roku tv. You can update your tcl tv by following the steps below
- On your roku remote press home button.
- Press the up or down key and scroll to select settings.
- Locate and select the system and then system update.
- Here you will find the current Roku software version and build version with date and time. Select check now, if there are any updates available it will download and install them automatically.
Factory Reset TCL TV With Black Screen
If you’re facing black screen issue then you’ll not be able to access the menus and option. In this scenario you can follow the steps below to reset tcl tv with no picture.
- Find the reset button located at the back of your tcl tv.
- After locating get a pin, pen or a click.
- With the help of the pin press and hold the reset button.
- Keep holding until your tcl tv turn off and turns on.
- Once the tcl tv is turned on release the button.
- Now follow the on screen instruction to complete setup.
Resetting your tcl tv with the help of reset button located on the back of your tcl tv can fix black screen problem.
Factory Reset Your TCL TV
If you’re getting a black screen after 5-10 minutes of turning on your tv. Then try resetting the TCL Roku to factory settings (note: doing this will erase everything from your Roku tv):
- Press the home button on the Roku remote.
- Now go to the settings option.
- Select the system option then select advanced settings.
- Now select the factory reset option and then select factory reset.
- Now enter the pin to confirm.
- Wait till the reset process is complete.
- Now setup your tv again.
After setting up your Roku tv you’ll not get the black screen issue on your tv.
Also check: Fix smartcast tv not available
How to fix black screen on Roku streaming stick
If you’re not able to see anything on your screen due to a black screen. Then you can follow the following button combination on the Roku streaming stick remote to restart it.
- Hit Home twice (this is to ensure you are absolutely at the beginning point).
- Press Up
- Down 3 times
- Now press ok
If you do this correctly you’ll see the Roku logo on your screen after some time and you’ll not face the black screen issue on your Roku streaming stick.
Install Roku streaming stick properly
If the Roku streaming stick is not installed or inserted properly into the tv HDMI slot then you can face the black screen issue on your tv. To fix this unplug the stick from tv then plug it back into your tv. While putting it in push it a little further to avoid any chances of loose connection. Now turn it on and check if this fixes the issue or not.
You can also try using an HDMI this will fix the overheating issue of the Roku stick and you’ll most likely not face the black screen issue on your Roku tv.
Replace TCL Roku TV or Roku Stick
In some cases you need to contact the tcl roku tv for fixing tcl roku tv. If the backlight is damaged, main power is damaged or if the tcl tv is showing black screen due to hardware issue. Then you can replace your tcl roku tv, because reparing your tcl roku can cost as much as buying a new one. So you can buy a new tcl roku tv or roku stick.
Contact TCL Roku
If you’re still getting the black screen on your Roku tv then you can try contacting TCL Roku or Roku for help. As many users have said that they are facing this issue on TCL Roku because of the led backlight. Due to some reason, the led on the Roku tv stops working which causes the black screen issue on the Roku tv. In this scenario, only the TCL Roku team or Roku team can help you.
Tell us from the comment box which step worked for you. Also check what you can do if you’re getting green screen on roku tv.