Recently I updated one of my games then after update the steam gave me “an error occurred while updating (corrupt content files)”. Due to this, I was unable to play the updated game. I did some research regarding this corrupt content files error and I was able to fix it. In this post, I’m going to share why do the games keep giving corrupt content file errors after the update and how you can fix it on your pc.
What Does Corrupt Content Files Mean on Steam
There are many reasons for this error which are mentioned below:
- Server issues: Sometimes due to downloading the server you can face this issue. This happens when some missing and corrupted files are downloaded from a downloading server.
- Poor internet connection: If you don’t have a good internet connection then you can come across corrupt content files on your steam.
- Firewall: Sometimes files block some steam downloading activity which can result in an error occurred while updating. Many users have also reported that they were facing this issue because of the windows firewall or antivirus.
- Corrupted appcache: If there are corrupted files inside the appcache folder of steam, then this can lead to such issues while updating or installing updates in steam.
- You don’t have admin privileges: Sometimes an application needs admin privileges to performs certain actions on your pc. If you don’t have admin access then you can come across steam corrupt content files on your pc.
These are some of the known reason which causes the error while updating a game on steam. We have mentioned some of the working steps below to eliminate the steam corrupt content files on your pc.
How Do I Fix Corrupted Content Files on Steam?
Move Game Files Location
Sometimes a corrupted hard disk can cause the steam to corrupt content files on your pc. To fix this you can move the game files to other drives on your pc by following the steps below:
- Click on steam from the top left side of the screen.
- Now click on the settings and then click on downloads.
- Click on the steam library folder under content libraries.
- Now click on add library folder.
- Now click on the downward arrow and select other drives than the current one.
- To create a new content library in this new drive click on the new folder and click on ok.
- Now click on the new steam library folder and click on select and click on close button.
- Right-click on the game on which you were getting the error and click on properties.
- Click on the local files tab.
- Now click on move the install folder and select the new steam library location.
- Now click on the move folder.
After moving files to the new library in the other drive you’ll not face the steam content corrupt files on your pc. If you’re still having the issue then check the drive for error by following the steps below.
Related: How to download steam cloud saves
Check disk for error
If you’re still getting the corrupt content files on the other driver, then you can follow the steps below to check your drive for error.
- Press Windows key and type cmd.
- Now right-click on the command prompt and click run as administrator.
- Now type chkdsk /f and hit enter and confirm it by press the y button.
- During the next restart, your computer will look for an error on your disk and fix it.
After following these steps you can restart your pc and check if it resolves the corrupt content files error on your pc.
Run steam as administrator
Some users have said that they were able to fix this issue by launching steam with administrative access. You can follow the steps below to launch your steam as administrator.
- Completely close your steam client.
- Now press the Windows key and search for steam.
- Now right click on the steam and click on run as administrator.
After launching steam with admin access try updating the game to see if this fixes the corrupt content files on your pc.
Delete the downloading folder of steam
If you faced the corrupt content files updating a game on steam, then you can try deleting the content in the downloading folder in the steamapps folders. This will fix the error occurred while updating the issue on your steam.
- Close steam on your pc.
- On your pc go to this pc> local disk (c:)> program files (x86)> steam> steamapps.
- Now in the steamapps folder double click the downloading folder to open it.
- Now delete everything in the downloading folders.
- Open the steam app and try updating the game again.
After deleting the downloading folder’s content you’ll not face an error that occurred while updating games on your pc.
Change download server region
Sometimes you can face corrupt content files on your pc because the server from which you’re downloading is providing you some missing or corrupt data. To fix this issue you can simply change the download server region by following the steps below:
- Click on the sting from the top left side of the screen and click on settings.
- Now click on downloads options.
- In the download region section select any other region and click on ok.
- Now logout of your steam and log in again.
- Try downloading or updating your game again.
Delete steam download cache
You can face corrupt content files on steam because of an old corrupted download cache. If you’re unable to fix this by following the steps above the try clearing the download cache in steam to fix the corrupt content files error.
- Click on steam from the top left side and click on the Settings option.
- Now click on download.
- Now click on the clear download cache option.
After following these steps restart your pc and try updating the game again on which you faced the error.
Also check: Fix epic games launcher not working
Verify game files integrity
Many users can fix steam’s corrupt content files by verifying the integrity of the local game files on steam. To verify your game files integrity on steam follows the steps below:
- Right-click on the game and click on properties.
- Click on the local files tab.
- Now click on “verify integrity of game files…”
Now steam will check the integrity of the game files. When the verification completes try updating the game again and check if you’re still getting the corrupt content files error or not.
Check Ram Usage
You can face steam corrupt content file issue due to low ram. If other program on your pc is consuming too much memory then steam can stop functioning properly.
- Hold Ctrl+Alt+Del key together.
- Select process tab.
- Click on memory tab to know how much space they are taking.
- Check which program taking too much of ram.
- Select and right click to END it.
Use your friend steam account
Sometime you might face steam corrupt content file issue due to account issue. In this scenario you can try another account. Try using steam with other account and update game files. If you’re able to complete the update files without any issue, then the issue is with you account. You can contact steam for help.
If the above steps didn’t help in fixing “an error occurred while updating”, then you can try completing removing and reinstalling the game again on steam. This can fix the corrupt content files error on your pc.
- Open Steam and go to the library tab.
- Now right click on the game which is giving you corrupt content files error.
- Now go to the manage option and click on uninstall. But don’t remove it from the account if you want you can hide and unhide it from your steam library.
- Restart your computer
- Open steam and download the game again.
Delete temporary corrupted steam appcache files
You can face corrupt content files because of the corrupted files in your steam appcache folder. You can delete these temporary appcache files from your pc to fix this error on your pc.
- Double click on this pc and go to the following location c:\program files (x86)\ steam
- Now locate and delete the appcache folder.
- Restart your pc and try updating the game again which was giving you an error.
Disable antivirus on your pc
Sometimes you can face this error if the download is blocked by your antivirus or windows firewall. This is rare but you can try disabling the antivirus to see if this fixes the issue. You can follow the steps below to give access to steam through the windows firewall:
- Press Windows + r to open run.
- Now type control firewall.cpl and hit enter to open windows defender firewall options.
- Click on allow an app or feature through windows firewall.
- Locate and select steam from the list.
- After selecting click on change setting and check both boxes (public and private) next to steam.
- After making changes click on the ok button.
Try updating the game again to see if you’re still getting the corrupt content files error on your steam. If you’ve any suggestions let us know from the comment box and also check how to fix steam content file locked.