Like other smart tv sony smart tv also have some issues. One of the major issues faced by sony tv owners is the black screen issue. Depending on the situation you can face a black screen on sony smart tv due to a misconfigured setting, malfunctioning, pending update, due to a temporary glitch, or because of a hardware issue. In some situations tv turns on for few minutes then the screen turns black. Sometimes sony tv turns on with no picture but the sound is working. These are some of the examples of the sony tv black screen issue. Today in this post we’re going to explain how you can fix the sony smart tv black screen of death.
How do I fix my black screen on my Sony TV?
If you’re also facing the black screen of death on your sony tv then you can try the following fixes below for help.
Restart your TV
Sometimes a simple reboot or restart of your tv with the help of a remote can help you in fixing the black screen issue on your sony tv.
- Press and hold the power button on your Sony remote for 5-10 seconds.
- Now your sony smart tv will restart.
When the tv restart check if you’re still facing the black screen issue or not.
Tip: Make sure that the power outlet is working properly. If not then try using other power outlets for powering your sony smart tv.
Power Cycle your Sony Smart TV
If you’re facing a black screen on your sony smart tv because of a temporary glitch or malfunction. Then hard resetting or power cycling your smart tv can help you in fixing the no picture issue on your sony smart tv.
- First turn off your sony smart tv.
- Remove any external hardware like HDMI cable or storage device from your smart tv.
- Unplug your sony smart tv from the power outlet and press and hold the power button on your tv for 10-15 seconds.
- Now wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Plug in your smart tv and turn it on.
Now check if you’re still getting a black screen on your sony tv or not. This will fix the black screen issue for many sony tv owners.
How to Factory Reset Sony Smart Tv with Black Screen
Sometimes resetting your sony smart tv to factory settings can help you in fixing the black screen issue. Below are the steps that can help you in resetting sony tv with a black screen.
- First locate the power button on your sony smart Bravia tv.
- Now press and hold the up button on your sony remote then press the power button on your Sony smart tv.
- Doing this will reset your sony tv to factory settings.
- Locate the buttons on the back of your sony smart tv.
- Now unplug your sony smart tv from the power outlet.
- Press and hold the volume – and power button on the back of sony smart tv.
- Now plug in your smart tv while holding the volume- and power button on the tv.
- Now you’ll see erasing notification or a green light this means that your smart tv is resetting to factory settings.
When the reset complete setup your smart tv and check if you’re still facing the issue or not.
Tips: If you’re able to get past the black screen on your sony tv then make sure to update your sony tv firmware to its latest version this can help you in fixing the issue.
Related: Fix TCL TV black screen issue
Change HDMI Port and Input
Make sure that the hdmi is working properly or not. If the hdmi cable or port is not working then you can face sony tv black screen issue. First of try changing the hdmi cable from port 1 to port 2. Now use remote to open input settings and select the correct hdmi as input. If changing the port fixes the issue then you were facing black screen issue on your sony tv because of a faulty hdmi port. If you’re still facing the issue then you try using a new hdmi cable. If a new HDMI cable fixes the issue then the old one was causing the black screen on your sony tv.
Tip: If your sony tv screen is turning black after some time then you can try decreasing the backlight to 30% from the picture settings. Go to settings then preferences>select picture> now reduce the backlight. Now check if you’re still facing the issue or not.
Reset Sony Smart Tv Picture Settings for Black or Flickering issue
Resetting picture settings on your sony smart tv can help you in fixing the black screen or flickering issue on your sony smart tv. If you’re able to get the picture on your smart tv, then you can follow the steps below for resetting picture settings.
- Press the menu button on your sony tv remote.
- Go to settings.
- Now select preferences
- Now select the reset option.
After resetting picture settings on your sony tv check if you’re still facing the issue or not.
Turn off picture reset mode
On some sony smart tv models tv turns on but after some time screen turns black. This happens because of the picture reset mode. You can turn it off by following the steps below.
- Press the settings or menu button on your sony remote.
- Now go to settings.
- Select system.
- Now select retail mode settings.
- Now select picture reset mode and turn it off.
Check for Hardware issue
If none of the steps worked for your sony tv and you’re still facing black screen issue. Then this can be a hardware problem on your sony tv. You can face black screen on sony tv because of faulty backlight led. To check this use a flashlight and move closer to your tv and flash it on the surface of your smart tv screen. If you’re able to see any picture on your smart tv, then this is an issue related to sony blacklight led. You can also face black screen on sony tv because of a faulty power board on your smart tv. To fix such an issue you need to contact sony team for help.
You can also check our post on how to fix LG tv black screen of death.