Are the black horizontal lines on the Samsung tv screen spoiling the epic finale of your favorite show or movie? Well, we faced the same problem a few days ago with a Samsung tv at our friend’s place. We’re getting horizontal lines and shadows on our screen. While our research we found this is a problem faced by many Samsung tv owners. In this post, we’ve explained what causes these horizontal lines to appear on your Samsung tv and how you can fix this problem.
What Causes Horizontal Lines on Samsung TV?
To know the reasons for these horizontal lines on your Samsung smart tv read the causes below.
- A damaged HDMI Port can cause horizon black lines on a Samsung tv screen.
- HDMI cables or audio-video cables connected to your tv are damaged.
- If you are using a streaming stick, then you can get black horizontal lines on the screen due to a faulty or damaged streaming stick.
- HDMI cables/input cables are not connected properly to your Samsung tv
- T-con board is damaged, panel issue or internal hardware problem can cause horizontal black lines to appear on your Samsung tv screen.
- Samsung tv graphic card is not working properly.
- A temporary glitch or bug can cause this problem.
Quickest Way to Fix Horizontal Black Lines on Samsung TV Screen
The quickest way and best method to fix horizontal black lines is a power cycle, hard reset, and changing or replacing HDMI cables. If the problem is with the HDMI cable or if the issue is caused by a bug then a hard reset/power cycle or changing the HDMI cables can help you. Below we’ve detailed steps by step guide to getting rid of horizontal lines on Samsung TV.
Restart and Power Cycle Your Samsung TV
First, you can try restarting your Samsung tv, if that doesn’t work then you can hard reset. Doing this will fix any temporary glitch that can help in fixing Samsung tv horizontal lines on the screen.
- To restart your Samsung tv, press and hold the power button on your Samsung.
- Now when your Samsung tv turns off and turns on (reboot) release the power button.
Now check if the horizontal lines issue is resolved or not. If you’re still facing the issue with your Samsung tv picture, then power cycle your tv.
- Turn off your Samsung tv using the remote.
- Now unplug your Samsung tv from the power outlet.
- Press and hold the power button on your Samsung tv for 20 seconds.
- Now, wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Now plug in your Samsung tv and turn it on.
Once the tv is turned on check if the horizontal black lines issue is resolved or not on your Samsung tv.
Are the Horizontal Lines on Screen Moving, shaking, fluctuating, or Still?
Are the horizontal black lines on your Samsung tv screen moving, shaking, or still? Wondering why this question? By knowing the nature of horizontal lines on your tv screen we can decide if this is a hardware/panel-related issue. Or this issue is caused due to port, HDMI cable, or due to fault in the device connected to the tv.
Moving lines: If the horizontal lines on your Samsung tv screen are moving/shaking/ fluctuating then this means that the port is damaged, problem with HDMI cables, cables are not connected properly or the device connected to the tv is damaged or not functioning properly.
What can you do– Try swapping the ports to see if the issue is resolved, if you have a spare HDMI cable then use it. You can remove the cable, setup box, and streaming stick and check if removing them fixed the issue for your tv or not.
Still Lines: If the lines on the Samsung tv screen are permanent and not moving, then this points to a hardware-related issue. Usually, this problem occurs when the panel is damaged due to water, weight on the screen during movement, drop, push, etc.
What can you do: In this scenario, you need to contact the technician so that they can help you in replacing the panel of your Samsung tv screen.
Check Your HDMI cables
If the HDMI cables or any other audio/video cables are not inserted properly or damaged then you can get these black lines on your Samsung tv. To rectify this follow these tips.
- Remove the HDMI cables, av cables, and cable box wire then reinsert them into their dedicated port properly.
- Check that the HDMI cable or any other wire is not damaged. If the cable is torn or damaged. If the wires are damaged then this is a common problem you are going to fix. To fix this problem replace the wire with a new one.
- Check your port for damage – Remove the HDMI cable and reinsert it into the other port, to see if the issue is resolved or not. If the issue is fixed, then this means that the port is damaged.
Picture Test your Samsung tv
You can perform the picture test from the Samsung tv. This seems to be working for many users in fixing horizontal lines issues on Samsung tv.
- Go to settings.
- Now select support.
- Select the device care option.
- Now select self-diagnosis.
- Now select picture test and press ok.
Samsung tv will show you a dummy image. If you find an issue with the picture, then you need to contact the Samsung team for help.
Update Your Samsung Tv Firmware
If you are not taking software updates seriously, then you should. Because sometimes you can face issues with Samsung tv pictures due to outdated firmware. To fix horizontal lines on a Samsung tv, update your tv’s firmware by following the steps below.
- Open Samsung tv settings.
- Go to support.
- Select software update, if this option is greyed out then check this post.
- Select update now.
After installing the latest firmware on your Samsung tv, reboot your tv. Now check if the horizontal lines problem is fixed or not on your Samsung tv.
Factory Reset Your Samsung TV
If none of the steps resolved this line issue on your Samsung tv, then try resetting your Samsung tv to factory state. This step will all the files and settings on your Samsung tv (including corrupted files which may cause these horizontal lines on the Samsung tv). To factory reset your Samsung tv follow the steps below.
- Again open Samsung tv settings.
- Go to the general option.
- Select reset.
- Enter the pin for completing reset (default pin is 0.0.0.0).
Once the factory reset is complete, then check if the horizontal lines problem is resolved or not on your Samsung tv.
Contact a Samsung technician
Tried all the steps, but still seeing horizontal lines on your Samsung tv screen? Then we’ll suggest you contact the Samsung tv technician. As they can help in fixing the issue with your Samsung tv panel or t con board issue.
More related articles: