Roku is a great streaming device that lets people watch movies and shows on their favorite streaming service. But a good amount of people are complaining that their Roku is disconnecting from WiFi again and again. And due to this internet connectivity issue, many people are unable to use their Roku properly. If your Roku keeps getting disconnected from WiFi, then this post is going to help you in resolving this problem. We’re going to discuss the reasons behind this problem and how you can fix it.
Why My Roku is Disconnecting From WiFi?
You can face an internet disconnecting issue on your Roku device, due to one of the reasons mentioned below.
- Unstable internet connection– If your internet connection is unstable then you can come across such issues.
- Poor WI-FI signals– Poor WiFi signals can also create issues.
- Faulty WI-FI setup If your WiFi is not set up properly then you can face issues while using your Roku device.
- Maximum router users– if too many devices are connected to the same router, then you can face issues with your Roku.
- Software bug of Roku– Sometimes buggy software can create WiFi connectivity issues.
- IP address glitches– Glitched IP addresses can also create issues.
- Outdated Roku software– You can also face connectivity issues due to outdated Roku software.
What to do When Roku Keeps Getting Disconnected From WiFi?
Fix your WI-FI connection
If your Roku is disconnecting from WiFi, then first make sure to check for WiFi/router issues. Make sure that your internet is working properly before proceeding with other troubleshooting steps. We’ve mentioned some steps below for improving your WiFi connection.
- Check your router is placed near your Roku device. If your Roku is far from the WiFi router, then move your router closer to the WiFi router.
- Make sure that your WiFi router is placed above or higher then the Roku device or Roku tv. Doing this will improve the WiFi connection.
- Check that all the cables are connected properly to the WiFi router, if not then properly connected all the cables. Also check for damaged cables, if you find one then replace it with a new cable for better connectivity.
- See the light of your router, for your information, green light means you have a solid internet connection and a red or orange light means you have bad signals.
- To check the speed of your internet go to the website speedtest.net and check your speed. If you find that your internet is not working or working slower than expected, then your Roku is disconnecting from WiFi due to weak internet connection.
- If you see that your internet is slow or not working then contact your internet service provider for help.
Also check: Fix roku remote keeps flashing green light
Restart Your Roku
Sometimes a simple fix like restart can help you in fixing any issue. If your Roku keeps disconnecting from WiFi, then try following the steps below to properly restart your Roku device.
- Go to the Roku home screen, then use the arrow button on Roku remote to select the settings option.
- Now scroll and select the system option.
- Scroll and select system restart.
- Now select restart and hit ok.
Power Cycle Your Roku Stick or Roku TV
If restarting your Roku device didn’t work for you, then you can try power cycling your Roku. The power cycle will eliminate the temporary glitch causing the problem. To power cycle, your Roku device follows the steps below.
- Remove the Roku stick from your tv.
- Unplug both your Roku and your tv from the power.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Plug in your tv and your Roku.
- Connect your Roku to the tv.
- Now check if the Roku disconnecting from WiFi, again and again, issue is fixed or not.
- Turn off the Roku tv using the Roku remote.
- Now unplug your Roku tv from the power outlet.
- Press the physical button on your tv for 15-20 seconds.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Now plug in your tv and turn it on.
Once the power cycle is completed connect your Roku device to the WiFi and check if the Roku dropping WiFi connection problem is fixed or not.
Also check: Fix roku overheating issue
Check Your Network Connection on Roku
You can also check the Roku settings to get the information about your internet issue. We’ve mentioned some steps below to check your internet connectivity issue from Roku settings.
- Go to Roku home screen.
- Scroll down and select settings.
- Now select the network option.
- Now select check connection.
After following these steps you’ll get detailed information about the internet that is connected to the Roku. If the Roku is saying that the WiFi is not working, then check your internet connection through other devices. If the internet connection is still not working, then contact your internet service provider for help.
Power Cycle Your Router and Modem
If your internet is dropping or working slow, then you can try power cycle of the router and modem. This can help you in resolving the internet connection. To perform power cycle properly follow the steps below.
- Turn off the modem and router.
- Pull out the cable of the router and modem from the power socket.
- Wait for 60 seconds.
- Plugin your router, modem and let it start.
- Now connect your Roku to WiFi.
Now check if the Roku keeps disconnecting from WiFi issue is fixed or not.
Also check: Fix roku low power issue
Enable/Disable Network Ping
If the power cycle of router didn’t help you, then you can try one more thing which is enabling your network ping. Some users were able to fix WiFi disconnecting problem by enabling the network ping on their Roku device.
- Go to the Roku home screen then press the home button 5 times.
- Press fast forward>>play>>rewind>>play>>fast forward.
- Scroll up to go and select the system operation menu.
- Scroll up and select Disable network ping and restart your Roku.
- Now check if the WiFi disconnecting issue is resolved or not. If not then follow the above steps again and enable the network pings and check again.
Now go and restart your Roku to check whether Roku keeps disconnecting from WiFi is resolved or not.
Change the DNS Setting On Roku
If your Roku is still disconnecting from WiFi again and again, then tweaking your DNS settings can help you. To make changes to your dns settings follow the steps below.
- Press the menu on your remote.
- Go to the network and then network status.
- Choose IP settings and then DNS settings.
- Select Enter and put DNS address 18.104.22.168.
After making changes to your dns settings, connect your Roku to WiFi. Now wait for some time and check if the Roku disconnecting from WiFi problem is fixed or not on your device.
Update Your Roku Device
Outdated Roku firmware can create a mess. If you’ve not updated your Roku for a long time, then you can face internet connectivity issues. So make sure that your Roku device firmware is updated to its latest version. To update your Roku firmware follow the steps below.
- Go to Roku settings.
- Scroll down and select the system.
- Select system update and then select check now.
- Roku will start to check if any updates are available or not. If available then a pop will appear and ask you to update now or later, select update now.
- Roku will automatically start to download and install the update.
- Once it’s done restart your Roku.
After updating your Roku device connect it to the WiFi, now check if the connectivity issue is fixed or not on your Roku device.
Also check: Fix roku error code 016
Factory Reset Your Roku Device
If none of the steps worked for you and your Roku device is still disconnecting from the WiFi. Then you can try factory resetting your Roku device. This will erase everything from your device and will put your device in the factory default state. To factory reset your Roku device follow the steps below.
- Press home on Roku remote and select settings.
- Now go to Advanced system settings.
- Select factory reset and enter the code on your screen and select ok.
- Last select start factory reset.
Once the factory reset is complete, then proceed with the setup. Now connect your Roku to the WiFi and check if the issue is fixed or not.
Contact Roku Team
If none of the steps worked for you, the try contacting Roku team. Explain the situation you’re facing to them, Roku team will help you in fixing Roku keeps disconnecting from WiFi problem. If this post helped you then check how to fix firestick keeps disconnecting from wifi.