Do you have Roku? If not, this post may not be interesting for you. But if you have, then you may experience some troubles with it. Recently, one of my friends encountered a network issue where roku is asking whether he is at home, hote or dorm. We did some research and found out that many Roku users are also facing the same problem. The issue is “Roku asking if I’m at home” and won’t connect to the internet. We did a little research and found the fixes to resolve the issue. In today’s post, we’ll be covering what causes Roku asking if I’m at home and how you can fix this.
Why Does My Roku Ask if I’m at Home, Hotel or Dorm?
Sometimes, it may be a temporary glitch or software bug causing the issue. Apart from that, below are some probable causes; check if this is with you.
- Bad Network Connectivity: This is one of the possible reasons you’re encountering the Roku asking if at home or a hotel. In this case, troubleshooting the network devices may help you out.
- Guest Mode: Another reason for encountering this issue is using your Roku on Guest mode. There are some instances where using the Roku on guest mode causes problems.
- Outdated Firmware: Using your Roku on outdated firmware can also be why you’re getting the Roku asking if I’m at home error. Updating the firmware to the available version may resolve your issue.
Roku Hotel and Dorm Connect Troubleshooting
Below, we’ve gathered the best working solutions to fix the “Roku asking if I’m at home” issue. All you need to do is, follow the steps as guided and resolve your problem.
Reboot your Roku
If you haven’t done this yet, then do it now. If it’s just a minor glitch or bug, it will be resolved by restarting the device. To reboot your Roku, do it as given below;
- Press the Home button 5 times.
- Now, press the Up button once.
- After that, press the Rewind button twice.
- Lastly, press the Fast Forward button twice.
- Unplug the Roku’s TV power cable from the wall outlet.
- Now, wait for 60 seconds.
- After that, plug the TV’s power cable back into the wall outlet and check if this works for you.
If this doesn’t work, turn off your Tv and leave it for an hour and check if this works.
Also check: Fix roku remote keeps flashing green light
Roku Keeps Asking If I’m At Home
Some users reported that they encountered this issue after upgrading or changing their Router. If you have upgraded to a new router, ask your ISP to resolve the issue. In the meantime, try to verify your Router and check the internet speed.
- First of all, check the indicator light on your Router and if it’s green, perform a simple reboot and let your Roku connect to the internet.
- And, if you’ve found any orange or red light, reconnect all the cables attached to the Router and modem.
- After that, unplug the router and modem from the wall outlet and wait for 5 minutes.
- Then, plug the Router and modem back into the wall outlet and leave it for another 5 minutes.
- Lastly, check if this resolves the issue or not.
Another thing you need to check is the internet speed. Visit fast.com or speedteset.com and check the internet speed you’re getting. Roku needs a minimum 5mbps internet speed; check if you’re getting the required speed. If not, call your ISP.
Tip: If your Router and Roku both support the 5GHz network, then ensure that it is enabled in the Router’s settings and connect your Roku with 5GHz named network (e.g., MYWiFi_5GHz)
Disable Guest Mode
If your Roku asks if you’re at home/dorm or hotel, you might be using your Roku on guest mode. Check if you’ve turned on the Guest Mode; if it’s turned on, then disable it and check if your Roku is connected to the internet or not.
Unplug the Wi-Fi Range Extender
If you’re using a WiFi range extender, then try unplugging it. There were some instances where sometimes the WiFi range extender was the reason behind the error. Some users claimed that unplugging the WiFi range extender resolves the issue. So, try to unplug your WiFi range extender and check if this fixes the problem.
Also check: Fix roku low power issue
Use Mobile Hotspot
Still getting the error message, try connecting your Roku with your Mobile Hotspot. Most users claimed that Roku started working after connecting to the mobile hotspot. So, turn on the hotspot on your mobile and connect your Roku to the internet. Check if this makes your Roku work. If Roku starts working, it means your Router is having some issue. In this case, the steps given below will help you.
Use Ethernet Cable
If Roku starts working on mobile internet, try to connect your Roku with the Ethernet cable. Ethernet cable is more stable, reliable and faster than a wireless connection. To connect the ethernet cable, follow the steps given below;
- Locate the Ethernet cable port on the back of your Roku Tv and connect it.
- Now, go to the Settings > Network > Setup connection > Wired.
- After setting up the connection, check if this fixes the “Roku asking if I’m at home” error.
Is there a way to force roku to stop asking if I’m in a hotel
There’s no way to force the Roku to ask if I’m in a hotel, but you can try Resetting the network connection. If you’re experiencing some streaming issue, resetting the network works most of the time. So, it’ll be better if you perform a Network reset. To do so, follow the steps as instructed below;
Reset Network Connection on Roku
- Press the Homebutton on your Roku remote.
- Now, scroll to the Settings, then select Advanced system settings.
- After that, select Network connection reset > Reset connection.
- After resetting the connection, restart your Roku TV and set up your wireless connection again.
Spoof MAC Address (Not Recommended)
If you’re encountering Roku asking if I’m at home on your computer/laptop, you can also change the MAC address of your computer/laptop. As some users claimed that they managed to resolve the issue by entering the Roku’s MAC address on their computer/laptop. All you need to do is;
- First of all, match the MAC address of your computer/laptop with Roku’s MAC address.
- Now, log onto the network using your computer/laptop and change the laptop’s MAC address back to the original.
- Now your Roku should be connected to the network.
Also check: How to fix roku overheating issue
Update Your Roku’s Firmware
As we all know, updating the firmware timely improves performance and usability. Check if your Roku is running on the latest version or not. To check this,
- Press the Home button given on the remote
- Now, head to the Settings and select System,
- After that, select System Update and check if there’s any update available for your Roku. If there’s any, install it and reboot your device.
Lastly, check if this works for you or not.
How to turn off the dorm/hotel or home?
You can’t turn off the dorm/hotel or home message, but you can fix this by resetting your device to its factory settings. Performing a factory reset will remove all your saved settings, apps and information. After factory resetting the Roku, you need to set it up again. To factory reset your Roku;
Factory Reset Your Roku
- Press the Home button given on your remote
- Now, head to Settings > System.
- After that, navigate to the Advanced System Settings, then select Factory reset/Factory reset everything (if you’ve Roku Tv).
Also, there’s a physical Reset button on the back panel of your Roku Tv. Press it for 10 seconds, and your roku Tv will be reset to its default factory settings.
Use Recovery Mode
If you’re still there and your Roku is still not working, try to use Recovery Mode. To do so, follow the steps as instructed below;
- Locate a Reset button at the back panel of your TV,
- Now, use a paperclip and press and hold the Reset button for 20 seconds.
- After that, you’ll get the Recovery Mode screen.
- Choose your preferred language and connect to the internet (use your mobile hotspot if wireless isn’t working).
- Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to the internet.
- Lastly, select Update now. This may take a while. Once it’s done, set up your Roku and check if this resolves the issue or not.
If nothing works for you, try contacting Roku help support. Brief them about your issue, and they’ll surely guide you with the best troubleshooting steps. If any of them works for you, leave a comment below. Also check what to do when firestick is disconnecting from wifi.