Recently updated on January 12th, 2023 at 11:50 pm
Recently, I decided to watch the latest predator movie prey on Hulu. But when I launched Hulu on Roku it was not working. The app was not loading and I was getting a black screen after playing the movie.
As this was the second time this thing was happening, so I decided to look online. I visited the Hulu community page and Roku page and also reddit. There I found that many users have faced something similar with Hulu on Roku.
After researching online I was able to fix the Hulu loading not working problem on my Roku stick. In this post, I’m going to share what I did to fix Hulu issue on my Roku device.
What to Do When Hulu is Not Working on Roku?
If Hulu is not working on Roku, you can fix this by restarting the Roku, reinstalling the Hulu, updating the device and Hulu app, or you can reset your Roku device. Also check for outage, because at that time you cannot do anything to fix Hulu issue on Roku.
Below I’ve shared 8 fixes that can help when Hulu is not working on Roku.
Restart your Roku from the Settings
You can fix Hulu issue on Roku by restarting your Roku device. Below we’ve shared how to restart Roku from the settings.
- Go to the Roku home screen.
- Now go to Settings.
- Go down to Power.
- Now again go down and select System restart.
- Now select the Restart option.
After restarting Roku, check if the Hulu is working or not.
Clear Roku Device Cache
If the Hulu app is not working, then you can fix this problem by clearing the Roku device cache. To clear the cache of Roku, you need to press the following button combinations.
- On your Roku remote press home button 5 times.
- Now press up button for 1 time then,
- Rewind button 2 time followed by fast forward button 2 times.
Now your Roku TV or Stick will restart in couple of seconds. Once your Roku start working again, then check if the Hulu issue is resolved or not.
Related: Fix Roku stick overheating issue.
Is HULU Down?
Before proceeding with other troubleshooting steps we’d suggest you check for Hulu outage. To do this you can visit downdetector. Here you can if there is any issue at the Hulu server end.
If the status is showing that Hulu is down in your area, then you can not do anything in this matter. If the Hulu servers are not working, then you need to wait for some time, so that Hulu can fix issues at their end. Once the issue is resolved you’ll be again able to use Hulu without any issues.
Fix: Hulu not working on TCL Roku TV
Having an outdated version of Hulu’s app or channel on TCL Roku is another cause of Hulu not working on TCL Roku TV.
Therefore, we suggest checking if there is an updated version of the app available, and updating it if so.
How to update Hulu app on Roku?
- Navigate to Hulu channel and highlight it.
- Now, press the *(option) button to check if there’s any update available.
- If available, start downloading it and update the Hulu app.
Reinstall the Hulu App on Roku
Reinstallation of Hulu app is the best thing to do when Hulu is not working on Roku. Reinstalling the Hulu on your Roku can fix the problem.
- Go to the Roku home screen.
- Now move to the channel list and select Hulu.
- Now press the * button on your Roku remote.
- Select remove channel to remove Hulu from your Roku TV or Roku stick.
- Now go back to home and select settings.
- Now go to power and then select system restart then select Restart.
- When the Roku device restart, add the Hulu channel again to your Roku device.
- Now check if you’re able to play Hulu on your Roku TV.
If you’re still getting the issue you can try following the other steps mentioned below.
Why Can’t I Install Hulu on My Roku?
You may not be able to find the Hulu app on a Roku device. This can happen due to availability issues in some regions.
Roku works everywhere but some channels might not be available in all regions due to the app provider’s discretion.
So if you’re not able to find Hulu on Roku then check first if the Hulu is available in your region or not. If not then you will not be able to install or update Hulu on Roku.
Power Cycle Your Roku Stick or Roku TV
When Hulu is not working on your Roku, then you can power cycle of the streaming devices. This will clear the ram and cache or bug causing the issue. Power cycle is very simple and you can follow the steps below to power cycle your Roku stick or Roku TV.
- First, unplug the Roku stick from your TV.
- Now turn off your Roku and your TV.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes.
- Now plug in your TV and connect Roku Stick to the TV.
- Turn on your Roku stick.
- Check if the issue is resolved or not.
If you own a Roku TV;
- Turn off your Roku TV.
- Unplug it from the wall.
- Press and hold the physical Power button on Roku TV for 15-20 seconds.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes.
- Now plug in your Roku smart TV and turn it on.
After power cycling your Roku Stick or Roku TV, launch Hulu and check if the issue is resolved or not.
Tip: Some users have said that they were able to fix this issue by doing a manual update of their Roku. To manually update Roku, go to Settings then go to the System then select System update and select Check now.
If you found any updates kindly update your Roku to its latest version. After updating Roku check if you’re able to play Hulu or not.
If you’re still getting the issue try removing and re-adding the Hulu app this will also update the Hulu app on your Roku device.
Related: Fix Roku Green Screen Issue
Power Cycle Wi-Fi Router
If your internet connection is slow or not working, then sometimes a power cycle can resolve this problem. This will clear the temporary cache or bug preventing your router to work properly. To power cycle, your router follows the steps below.
- Unplug the router from the power outlet.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Now, plug in your router.
- Turn it on.
Once the router is turned on properly, then connect your Roku to Wi-Fi and check if the Hulu is working properly.
Check Your Internet Connection on Roku
You can also check if the Roku is receiving an internet connection or not with the help of Roku settings. To check if the Roku is connected to the Roku or not follow the steps below.
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Go to Settings.
- Now select the Network option.
- Now select the About option.
- Check the Status next to signal strength.
If the internet strength is good or excellent, then you’re good to go. If you see any other status then it is a problem. To check your internet connection select check connection. This will show the status of the internet connection on Roku.
Is Your Internet Connection Fast?
Every streaming service needs a fast and stable internet connection to work flawlessly. If your internet connection is weak or if the connection is slow, then you’re likely going to face issues while streaming on your Roku device.
Wondering what is Hulu’s minimum internet connection requirements?
Hulu needs a minimum of 2 Mbps for sd and 7+ Mbps for 1080 full HD content.
Roku needs 3 Mbps for sd and 9 Mbps for high definition content.
So the conclusion is, you need at least 5+ Mbps to play content in sd quality (if sd is what you want, if not then the sky is the limit).
To check your internet connection go to speedtest.net.
Is your internet slow? Wondering why?
There are a few reasons for slow internet connection mentioned below;
- Your device is placed too far from the network device. Try moving it closer to see if the connection is improving or not.
- Your router is bad, if this is the case then you need to contact your internet service provider for help.
- If you’re not aware of why your internet is slow then contact your internet service provider for help.
Also check: How to fix Hulu not working on Samsung smart TV.
Update Your Roku Device
If your Roku device is not updated for a long time, then it can cause problems. Outdated software can create compatibility issues with apps like Hulu. So make sure your Roku firmware is up-to-update.
To update your Roku device follow the steps below;
- Go to the home screen.
- Then scroll down and select the System option.
- Now select System update.
- Now update your Roku device firmware is updated.
Once the Roku device is updated then check if the Hulu is working properly or not.
Is Your Roku Device Supported?
Hulu is not supported on older Roku devices. So you’re trying to download Hulu on an older Roku device, then you can’t. To check whether your Roku device supported Hulu or not, then check the list below.
- Roku Ultra
- Roku Premiere and Premiere+
- Roku Express and Express+
- Roku 3 and 4
- Roku 2 (model 4210X)
- Roku Streaming Stick (model 3500X or later)
- Roku TV
- 4k Roku TV
If you don’t find your Roku device in the list above, then check this official link for Hulu-supported Roku devices. Here you’ll get the list of Roku devices that supports Hulu.
Factory Reset Your Roku
If nothing worked for you then you can try resetting your Roku device. Resetting your Roku TV will force your TV back to its factory version. This will most likely fix the Hulu problems on your Roku device. To reset your Roku device follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings on your Roku device.
- Now go down and select the System option.
- Again go down and select Advanced system settings.
- Now select the Factory reset option.
- After resetting Roku TV, add Hulu again and check if you’re able to use Hulu or not.
Note: If you’re using a Roku TV then you can find and press the reset button from the backside of your TV. After resetting the Roku TV check if the Hulu not working on the Roku TV is fixed.
Try Contacting Hulu and Roku
If none of the steps mentioned above worked for you, then your last hope is Roku and Hulu. You can try contacting Hulu and Roku team to fix this issue. Then can help you in resolving the Hulu not working issue on the Roku device.
If you’ve any suggestion let us know from comment box and also check how to cancel Hulu subscription.