Many Roku users are not able to watch Hulu on their Roku stick and roku tvs. Many roku owners are facing issue while using hulu on their roku devices (Roku express, premiere, streaming stick, Roku tv, or Roku ultra). When a user launches the Hulu app it doesn’t load properly, sometime it’ll get stuck on the Hulu logo and it won’t pass the Hulu welcome screen or loading screen. Some users have reported that hulu and roku are crashing whenever they are trying to use the hulu app. This is frustrating and many people don’t know what they can do when Hulu is not working on their Roku devices. But don’t stress, in this post we’ve gathered some working steps to fix Hulu buffering, loading, crashing or not working problem on your roku device.
What to Do When Hulu is Not Working on Roku?
Do a Roku System Restart
This is a really easy and simple trick which fixes the hulu issues on most roku devices. In this method you need to do a system restart of your Roku device. By doing a system restart from the roku settings you can eliminate or the fix the issues you are facing while streaming on your roku device. To do a system restart follow the steps below.
- Go to the Roku home screen.
- Now go to settings.
- Go down to power.
- Now again go down and select system restart.
- Now select the restart option.
When the Roku system restart complete check if you’re able to use Hulu on your Roku device.
Related: Fix roku stick overheating issue
Is HULU Down?
Before proceeding with other troubleshooting steps we’d suggest you check for Hulu outage. To do this you can visit downdetector. Here you can find if the Hulu is not working properly due to an issue at your end or the Hulu’s end. If the status is showing that Hulu is down in your area, then you can not do anything in this matter. If the Hulu servers are not working, then you need to wait for some time, so that Hulu can fix issues at their end. Once the issue is resolved you’ll be again able to use Hulu without any issues.
Remove And Re-add Hulu Channel to Your Roku
Many users claimed that they were able to fix hulu not working on roku problem by reinstalling or re-adding the hulu channel. Re-adding hulu to your roku can clear the unnecessary caches causing the issue. You can try removing and re-adding the Hulu channel on Roku by following the steps below.
- Go to the Roku home screen.
- Now move to the channel list and select Hulu.
- Now press the * button on your Roku remote.
- Select remove channel to remove Hulu from your Roku tv or roku stick.
- Now go back to home and select settings.
- Now go to power and then select system restart then select restart.
- When the Roku device restart, add the Hulu channel again to your Roku device.
- Now check if you’re able to play Hulu on your Roku tv.
If you’re still getting the issue you can try following the other steps mentioned below.
Power Cycle Your Roku Stick or Roku TV
When hulu is not working on your roku, then you can power cycle of the streaming devices. This will clear the ram and cache or bug causing the issue. Power cycle is very simple and you can follow the steps below to power cycle your roku stick or roku tv.
- First unplug the roku stick from your tv.
- Now turn off your roku and and your tv.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes.
- Now plug in your tv and connect rokustick to the tv.
- Turn on your roku stick.
- Check if the issue issue is resolved or not.
If you own a roku tv
- Turn off your roku tv.
- Unplug it from the wall.
- Press and hold the physical power button on roku tv for 15-20 seconds.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes.
- Now plug in your roku smart tv and turn it on.
After power cycling your rokustick or roku tv, launch hulu and check if the issue is resolved or not.
Tip: Some users have said that they were able to fix this issue by doing a manual update of their Roku. To manually update Roku go to setting then go to the system then select system update and select check now. If you found any updates kindly update your Roku to its latest version. After updating Roku check if you’re able to play Hulu or not. If you’re still getting the issue try removing and re-adding the Hulu app this will also update the Hulu app on your Roku device.
Related: Fix Roku Green Screen Issue
Power Cycle WiFi Router
If your internet connection is slow or not working, then sometimes a power cycle can resolve this problem. This will clear the temporary cache or bug preventing your router to work properly. To power cycle, your router follows the steps below.
- Unplug the router from the power outlet.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Now, plug in your router.
- Turn it on.
Once the router is turned on properly, then connect your Roku to wifi and check if the Hulu is working properly.
Check Your Internet Connection on Roku
You can also check if the Roku is receiving an internet connection or not with the help of Roku settings. To check if the Roku is connected to the Roku or not follow the steps below.
- Press the home button on your Roku remote.
- Go to settings.
- Now select the network option.
- Now select the about option.
- Check the status next to signal strength.
If the internet strength is good or excellent, then you’re good to go. If you see any other status then it is a problem. To check your internet connection select check connection. This will show the status of the internet connection on Roku.
Is Your Internet Connection Fast?
Every streaming service needs a fast and stable internet connection to work flawlessly. If your internet connection is weak or if the connection is slow, then you’re likely going to face issues while streaming on your Roku device.
Wondering what is Hulu’s minimum internet connection requirements?
Hulu needs a minimum of 2 Mbps for sd and 7+ Mbps for 1080 full HD content.
Roku needs 3 Mbps for sd and 9 Mbps for high definition content.
So the conclusion is you need at least 5+ Mbps to play content in sd quality (if sd is what you want, if not then the sky is the limit).
To check your internet connection go to speedtest.net.
Is your internet slow? Wondering why?
There are a few reasons for slow internet connection mentioned below
- Your device is placed too far from the network device. Try moving it closer to see if the connection is improving or not.
- Your router is bad, if this is the case then you need to contact your internet service provider for help.
- If you’re not aware of why your internet is slow then contact your internet service provider for help.
Also check: How to fix hulu not working on samsung smart tv
Update Your Roku Device
If your Roku device is not updated for a long time, then it can cause problems. Outdated software can create compatibility issues with apps like Hulu. So make sure your Roku firmware is up-to-update. To update your Roku device follow the steps below.
- Go to the home screen.
- Then scroll down and select the system option.
- Now select system update.
- Now update your Roku device firmware is updated.
Once the Roku device is updated then check if the Hulu is working properly or not.
Is Your Roku Device Supported?
Hulu is not supported on older Roku devices. So you’re trying to download Hulu on an older Roku device, then you can’t. To check whether your Roku device supported Hulu or not, then check the list below.
- Roku Ultra
- Roku Premiere and Premiere+
- Roku Express and Express+
- Roku 3 and 4
- Roku 2 (model 4210X)
- Roku Streaming Stick (model 3500X or later)
- Roku TV
- 4k Roku TV
If you don’t find your Roku device in the list above, then check this official link for Hulu-supported Roku devices. Here you’ll get the list of Roku devices that supports Hulu. If your device is not in the list, then you need to buy a new roku for steaming hulu. You can also choose an amazon firestick as they also work flawlessly.
Factory Reset Your Roku
If nothing worked for you then you can try resetting your Roku device. Resetting your Roku tv will force your tv back to its factory version. This will most likely fix the Hulu problems on your Roku device. To reset your Roku device follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings on your Roku device.
- Now go down and select the system option.
- Again go down and select Advanced system settings.
- Now select the factory reset option.
- After resetting Roku tv add Hulu again and check if you’re able to use Hulu or not.
Note: If you’re using a Roku tv then you can find and press the reset button from the backside of your tv. After resetting the Roku tv check if the Hulu not working on the Roku tv is fixed.
Try Contacting Hulu and Roku
If none of the steps mentioned above worked for you, then your last hope is Roku and Hulu. You can try contacting Hulu and Roku team to fix this issue. Then can help you in resolving the Hulu not working issue on the Roku device. If you’ve any suggestion let us know from comment box and also check how to cancel hulu subscription.