If you are trying to watch a live stream on HBO Max, a popular service that allows access to your favorite programming like movies, series and sports. However, someday you’ll face some trouble streaming the contents. Recently, we’ve seen a variety of HBO users reporting that their HBO Max apps/page keeps on buffering.
Are you encountering the same issue? If so, you’ve landed on the right page. In today’s post, we’ll discuss what causes the “HBO Max keeps buffering” and how you can eliminate this issue.
Why does HBO Max constantly buffer?
Why does HBO Max keep buffering? Well, there are various reasons, but you have to understand that many factors such as;
- Unstable or Poor Internet Connection
- A Corrupted Cache and Data can be the reasons you’re facing the buffering issue.
- Your HBO Max might be buffering if there’s a server outage.
How do I stop HBO Max buffering?
You can fix these problems by trying out some suggestions from ensuring you have an adequate internet speed and also sorting out any other issues with your router. If not, the guide below will help you and provide the fixes.
Check Internet connection
For smooth working of the application, the very basic need is a good internet connection. You need to ensure that the internet connection is fast enough for streaming.
The device on which you are trying to stream should be placed near the wifi router. If that’s not feasible, then it’s advised to take your device near the router.
Generally, the streaming apps require a minimum speed of 8-10 mb/s to watch an HD video without any interruption.
You can also check your internet speed through various sites like fast.net, speedtest.net etc., to make sure the speed is good enough for streaming.
If you are facing issues with your router, then you can turn it off and turn it on after 3-5 mins to resolve minor connectivity issues. If the problem persists, you can contact your service provider.
Check for Server Outage
Technology is a savior, but sometimes it does irritate us. Like we face some delays in the real-life world, the same is the case with technology. Outrages do happen, and it eats up our time.
Outrages with the servers can be due to maintenance, streaming service not available, bugs, or it can be due to huge traffic on the platform because of some new movie/series premiere.
When these outrages happen, you can visit downdetector or isitdownrightnow and check to see if there’s any outage or maintenance break. Also, you visit the community page of HBO Max, where other users might have shared the issue.
Ideally, we can stream without any need of a VPN. But sometimes, if we are unable to connect to the service, then connecting via VPN would be a great idea. Using VPN makes our connection stable throughout and would make our streaming experience good by establishing a stronger connection.
If you are already using any VPN service, you can turn that ON and check your streaming experience. It all depends on the quality of the VPN you are using. The better the VPN and internet connection, your experience will be better.
HBO Max reads your IP address, and location works only on select locations, so switching the server location to the US is advised for smooth streaming.
Restart HBO Max App or page
Did you try restarting your HBO Max app or page? If not, do it now. Restarting the app or page will clear the minor glitches and bugs that are causing the issue. To do so,
HBO Max App;
- Firstly, take an Exit from the HBO Max app.
- Now, wait for 60 seconds.
- After that, relaunch the app.
HBO Max website/page;
- Click on the “X” icon (tab section) and close your web browser.
- Now, wait for 60 seconds.
- And launch the web browser, then visit the HBO Max page and start streaming a title.
Restart Streaming device
HBO Max may also run into issues due to conflicting processes on your phone or other streaming devices. Here’s what you can try to ensure such problems don’t arise. In doing so,
On Smart TVs;
- Turn off the Smart TV and unplug it from the power source.
- Now, wait for 2-3 minutes.
- After that, plug the TV back into the power source and turn it on.
On Android devices;
- Press and hold the Power button until Power off options shows up.
- Now, tap Restart and wait until your device completes the process.
- Once your device reboots, launch HBO Max and check.
ON iOS devices;
- Press and hold the Power button until the option shows up on the screen.
- Now, slide to Power off your iOS device and wait for a while.
- Then, Power on the device and wait until it turns on.
Lastly, navigate to HBO Max on your device and launch it. Stream your desired content and check if this resolves the buffering issue on your HBO Max app.
Clear HBO Max cache and data
You might be encountering the buffering issue due to a corrupted cache and data of the HBO Max app. To get this past, follow the below steps and clear the cache and data of the HBO Max app;
On Android devices;
- Navigate to the Settings of your device.
- Now, scroll down to the Apps & notifications section, then go to the Apps.
- After that, locate HBO Max from the list and tap/select Clear Cache and Data.
On Smart TV;
- Navigate to the Settings on your TV.
- Now, locate the Installed Apps section and select HBO Max.
- After that, select Clear Cache and Clear Data.
After clearing the cache and data of the HBO Max application, launch it and check if doing this resolves the issue or not.
Clear Browser Cache
If you’re one of the HBO Max users, who streams HBO Max on a web browser, then try to follow the below steps and clear the browsing cache.
- Navigate to the Settings of your web browser.
- Then, click on Privacy and Security > Clear browsing data.
- After that, select the Time Range to All Time and then Clear Data.
After clearing the browsing cache and data of the web browser, visit the HBO Max page, sign into your account, and check if this fixes the issue.
Related: HBO Max keep freezing
Sign Out of all accounts
Some HBO Max reported that they were able to get past this “Buffering” issue after signing out all the devices from the account. To sign out of all devices;
- Launch the HBO Max app/page on your streaming device.
- Now, head to the Account/Profile and locate Manage Devices.
- After that, select SIGN ALL DEVICES OUT and follow the on-screen prompts (if any).
- Lastly, sign in to your device to the HBO Max account and check whether this fixed the issue or not.
If you’re still encountering the issue, move on to the following steps.
Update HBO Max
You may experience a buffering issue if you’re using an outdated version of the HBO Max app. If so, check if there’s any update available for your HBO Max app. To check this,
- Navigate to the Apps Store on your streaming device.
- Now, locate the HBO Max app and check if there’s any update option available or not.
- If there’s any, select it and wait until your HBO Max is updated to its latest version.
Once it’s updated, launch the HBO Max app, start streaming a movie or show, and check to see if the buffering issue persists.
Update your Device
Another thing that can help you in resolving the buffering issue is, updating the streaming device to its latest release. For checking the latest available updates,
- Navigate to the Settings of your streaming device.
- And head to the System Update.
- Now, check if there’s any latest software or firmware update available. If there’s any, then select the Update button and start updating the device.
After updating the streaming to its latest release, the buffering issue should be fixed now.
Reinstall HBO Max
Reinstalling the HBO Max will delete all your downloaded titles and log you out of your account, but it is one of the best ways to solve this issue. To reinstall the HBO Max;
- First, uninstall HBO Max on your streaming device.
- Head to the device’s Apps Store and search for HBO Max.
- After that, install it and enter your credentials to sign into your account.
After signing into the HBO Max account, play a title and check if this fixes your problem.
Stream Another Title
Sometimes the title you want to stream has some streaming issues, and we thought that it’s occurring due to either bad internet connectivity or the app or device causing the problem. To check this, you can try streaming another title (show or movie) on HBO Max.
If you’re able to stream the title without buffering, then try contacting the HBO Max help support. Explain the issue you’re facing and ask them to provide solutions to fix this out. Or, you can try following the next step.
Use Another Streaming Device
It can be your streaming device that’s causing the issue. To check this, install (if not installed) and launch the HBO Max app/channel on your other streaming devices, such as laptop, smart tv or smartphone.
After launching the HBO Max app on your other streaming device, now select a title (movie or show) and start streaming it. Now, check whether the buffering issue persists or not.
Reset your Device
Many users reported that they were able to stream the content on other devices without any buffering issues, but when they stream it on their TV or vice versa, the title keeps on buffering. This can be due to a glitch on the TV/other streaming device or app or conflicting processes of the devices.
In this case, resetting the device to its default settings is the best way to resolve it. To reset your device;
- Navigate to the Settings of your steaming device.
- Now, locate the Factory Reset and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once your device resets to its factory settings, set up your device again and install the HBO Max app on your device.
Also, check if you’re encountering the buffering issue on any of the devices listed below;
HBO Max keeps buffering on Samsung tv
If you’re one of the users who are experiencing the buffering issue while streaming HBO Max on their Samsung tv. In this scenario, try following the steps that are given in this post. If that didn’t help you out, try resetting the smart hub.
- Firstly, head to the Menu > Settings > All Settings.
- Now, navigate to the Support > Device Care > Self Diagnosis.
- After that, select Reset Smart Hub.
Now, all your saved settings and apps will be deleted from the Samsung TV. Set up your account again and download the HBO Max app on your Samsung TV.
HBO Max keeps buffering on LG smart tv
Are you an LG Smart TV user encountering the HBO Max keeps buffering issue while streaming a title on it? Then, navigate to the Settings of your LG TV and reset it to its initial settings. To do so,
- Press the Smart button on your remote,
- Then select the Gear icon (Settings) in the top right.
- After that, choose General > Reset to Initial Settings.
Once this process ends, set up your tv again and install the HBO Max app to check whether this fixes your problem or not.
Also Check: HBO Max keeps crashing
Contact HBO Max support
It seems like the steps we’ve mentioned above didn’t help you in resolving the buffering issue on your HBO Max. In this scenario, we suggest contacting the HBO Max support/customer help desk and asking them to provide you with assistance.
Download the content
If you want to stream the title severely, then there’s a way to do so. HBO Max allows its users to download their desired shows or movies. But, this option is only available for android and iOS users. If you’ve HBO Max on any device, download your desired show or movie and enjoy the streaming.
Cast on TV
As we previously discussed, you can download the movie or show it on android or iOS devices only. But here’s another way to stream your favorite content. All you need to do is, cast your smartphone screen to your TV and stream the show or movie you want to.
More Helpful Guides;
Discovery plus keeps buffering