Since its launch in 2020, HBO max has been leading the streaming chart for months now. Recently, HBO max users have reported that while playing a show or movie, they only get audio but no picture. HBO Max black screen issue is prominent among all the devices (firestick, Samsung tv, Roku, mobile devices, etc.). If you’re also getting a black screen while HBO max, then you are at the right place. In this post, we’ll explain how you can fix HBO max black screen on your smart tv.
Why is my HBO Max screen black?
There can be several reasons, but we’ve listed some of the probable reasons that can cause HBO Max black screen.
- Your Streaming Device Is Incompatible
- Internet Connection is unstable, weak or slow
- Corrupted Cache or Data
- The show or Movie is either removed or temporarily unavailable
- Server is down
HBO Max Black Screen With Audio on TV
Restart HBO Max
If you haven’t done this yet, do it now. Try restarting your HBO Max application on your device. This will refresh your HBO Max app or page and fixes the minor bug or glitches that are causing the issue. To do so,
- Exit HBO Max app or website and wait for 60 seconds.
- After that, launch it again and stream your desired content to see if this fixed the black screen issue.
If you’re getting a black screen with audio on your smart tv while playing HBO max, then a power cycle can help you. A power cycle fixes the temporary glitches that can help you in fixing HBO Max black screen on tv.
- Turn off your Smart TV and unplug it from the wall.
- Press and hold the Power button on your smart tv for 15-30 seconds.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Now turn on your smart tv.
Launch HBO max and check if the black screen issue is fixed or not. If not, then try following the other steps below.
Relog-in to your HBO Max account
You may encounter black screen issues due to some temporary bug or glitch. Try signing out of your HBO Max and signing back into your account to resolve this. To do so,
On Android or iOS;
- Launch HBO Max on your device and tap on Profile.
- Now, head to Settings and tap on Sign Out.
- Then, exit HBO Max and wait for 2 minutes.
- After that, launch the HBO Max app and sign in to your account again.
On Web Browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, or other);
- Visit the HBO Max website on your browser.
- Now, click on Profile to access the drop-down menu.
- Then, click on Sign Out and wait for 2 minutes.
- After that, sign in to your HBO Max account and stream a show or movie to see if this resolves the issue.
Is HBO Max Down?
If HBO max is down in your area, then you will not be able to stream content on your HBO max. You can face the HBO max black screen issue if there is an outage in your area.
To check whether HBO max servers are working in your area or not, you can visit Downdetector. At Downdetector, you can get the live status of the HBO max server in your area.
You can also visit social media websites like Twitter to look for posts about the HBO max outage. If HBO max is down, you can get a black screen while watching movies or shows. In this scenario, you need to wait for the HBO max team to fix this problem in your area.
Check for Internet Issues
A weak internet connection can cause such issues while playing a show or movie on HBO Max. You can also get a black screen issue due to a slow or weak internet connection.
To check whether your tv or smart device is connected to Wi Fi or not, you can stream video on YouTube or prime video. If the video is not playing properly on your smart tv, check your connection speed at speedtest.net. Here you’ll get the information about your Wi Fi speed.
If the internet speed is slow, try moving your router closer to your streaming device. You can also try an ethernet connection to improve your internet speed. If the issue persists, then try following the steps below;
- Unplug your router from the wall.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Now plug in your router and turn it on.
- Connect your smart tv to wifi.
Now check your connection speed again. If the internet is still weak or not working, contact your internet provider for help.
Try streaming another show
If you’re getting a black screen while trying to stream your desired movie, then there can be chances that it is unavailable on HBO Max. Unexpected circumstances may cause HBO Max shows or movies to be temporarily unavailable.
To verify this, navigate to the HBO Max home screen, select any content, and start streaming. Now, check to see whether the black screen issue persists or not.
Reinstall HBO Max App
Sometimes an incompatible or corrupted app can cause an issue while streaming video on your smart tv. In this case, reinstalling HBO max on their device can help you in fixing the black screen issue on your tv. Follow the steps below for reinstalling HBO Max on your smart tv.
- Delete HBO Max from your smart tv.
- Now restart or reboot your device.
- Add HBO max again to your device.
- Launch HBO max and check if the black screen is fixed or not on your smart tv.
If the issue persists, then try the other fixes from below.
Update Your HBO Max App
Updating HBO Max can help you in resolving the black screen issue. If you’ve not updated your HBO max for a long time, then updating the HBO max app can help you. After updating HBO Max check again and see if the black screen issue is fixed or not on your smart tv.
Update Your Streaming Device
Also, if you’ve not updated your device firmware, this can cause issues while streaming content on HBO max. So make sure your device software is updated to its latest version. After updating your device firmware, launch HBO max and check if the black screen issue is resolved or not on your smart tv.
Tips: Close or completely exit the HBO max on your smart tv. Now open the HBO max app again, try streaming the same show or movie and check if the black screen issue is fixed or not on your smart tv.
Clear HBO Max Cache and Data
Clearing the cache of HBO max on your device can help you in resolving issues like black screen. If you’ve not deleted cache data for a long time, follow the steps below to clear HBO max cache on your device.
- Go to Settings on your device.
- Then go to the Applications.
- Select Manage Installed Applications.
- Find HBO Max and select it.
- First, Force Stop the app, then Clear Cache and Data of HBO max on your device.
If you’re using a Roku stick or Roku tv, press the following buttons to clear the cache on the Roku device.
- Press the Home button five times, then the up button once, the rewind button twice, followed by fast forward twice.
- After pressing this button combination cache will be cleared on your Roku device, and your Roku will restart.
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Go up and select Settings.
- Now go down and select Apps.
- Look for HBO Max and select it.
- First, Force Stop HBO max, then Clear Cache and Data of HBO max app.
Related: Fix HBO max stuck on loading screen
Reset Your Device to Factory Settings
If none of the steps helped you, then resetting your device to factory settings can help you in fixing the black screen issue while playing HBO max. To reset your smart tv, follow the steps below.
- On your Roku remote, press the Home button.
- Scroll down to Settings and select it.
- Now select the System option.
- Go to Advanced System Settings.
- Select the Factory Reset option.
- Now choose Factory Reset Everything.
Samsung smart tv
- Go to the Home screen using the home button on your Samsung smart tv remote.
- Navigate to Settings and select it.
- Scroll down and select the Support option.
- Now choose Self-Diagnosis.
- Now select Reset Smart Hub.
- Enter the default pin or your pin for resetting the smart hub.
- From here, you can also reset the tv to factory settings.
- Turn on your firestick.
- On your firestick remote, press the Back button and Right directional button simultaneously and hold it for 10-15 seconds.
- Select Reset; your firestick or fire tv will reset in a couple of minutes.
- Go to the Home screen.
- Navigate to Settings and select it.
- Select the My Fire TV option.
- Scroll down and select the Reset to Factory Defaults option.
Related: Fix hbo max not working on firestick
Contact HBO Max Team
If nothing helps you and you are still getting a black screen while streaming content on HBO max, then get in touch with the HBO max team. The HBO max team can help you in fixing any issue with HBO max on your device. You can also approach your device manufacturer or internet provider for help.
Also, check our post on how to fix disney plus not working on samsung smart tv.