Firestick is a great little device that can play more than one hundred thousand videos. However, there are some occasions when it simply crashes in the middle of the action and you are left frustrated and annoyed. No matter how hard you try to restore it, nothing seems to work for long. It’s strange enough that this has been happening for a long time, and no one can figure out why…
This issue occurs when you try to play apps, use a fire stick app, or restart your device. Have you tried everything on the internet, but none of the steps has worked? Don’t worry; here’s what you’re looking for.
In this post, we’ll discuss what I tried and how I fixed it when I experienced the same issue on my Firestick.
How do I fix my Firestick keeps going back to home screen?
Firestick keeps crashing or going back to the home screen can be fixed by restarting the Fire device, clearing the app cache and data, updating the app to the latest version, clearing some space, updating the fire device software, and resetting your Fire TV and TV to default settings.
Things You Need To Check Before;
- Overloaded HDMI Ports: If your TV HDMI ports are overloaded, it can cause your Fire TV to crash. To fix this, disconnect or remove all other devices’ HDMI cables and then restart your TV.
- Internet Issue: A slow or unstable internet can lead you to such issues. So, ensure that your internet is working fine. To check this, visit speedtest.net and run a speed test; if you aren’t getting the required bandwidth to stream the content on your Fire device.
If there are any issues with your internet, call your ISP and ask them to resolve the issue.
- Use Original Cables and Power Adapter: Ensure that you’re using the Original Cables and Power adapter to connect your Fire device. If you’re using a third-party or non-certified cable, it might be the reason why you’re facing frequent crashes.
- Damaged Cables: It could be due to a damaged or frayed cable. Check all of the cables connected to your Fire device, and look for any signs of damage. If you find a damaged cable, replace it with a new one. This should help to resolve the issue.
Let’s begin with restarting your Firestick or Fire TV. Rebooting the Fire TV or Firestick often resolves such issues and problems. To do so,
- Press the Home button on your Fire TV/Fire Stick remote.
- Now, head to Settings.
- And then select My Fire TV > Restart.
- After restarting the Fire device, play a show or movie to see if it still crashes.
- Press and hold the Select and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- And your Fire TV/Firestick will reboot.
Clear App Cache and Data
Clearing the app cache and data can fix this issue. Follow these steps to clear the app cache and data:
- First, go to Settings on your Fire TV.
- Now, select Application > Managed Installed Applications
- After that, locate the App that’s crashing.
- Now, select Clear Cache and then Clear Data.
Update the app to the latest version
If your Firestick keeps crashing, it’s likely because you’re using an outdated version of the app. To fix this, simply update the app to the latest version.
To update the app;
- Navigate to the Home screen and then select the App you want to update.
- After that, select More Info and check if there’s an Update Option available. If any, select it and let it update to the latest version.
Uninstall and reinstall the App
If your Firestick keeps going back to the home screen, the next thing you should try is uninstalling and reinstalling the app that is causing the problem.
To do this,
- Go to the Settings menu on your Firestick and select Applications.
- Now, select Manage Installed Applications, find the app that is causing the problem, and select it.
- Then, select Uninstall and confirm the uninstallation.
- Once the app is uninstalled, head to the main menu and use Global Search.
- And search for the app you want to install and select it. Follow the prompts to install the app and then launch it.
If the app still crashes, you may need to contact the developer for further assistance.
Free Up Some Memory
If your Firestick keeps crashing, it’s likely because you don’t have enough free memory. To fix this, delete the unused apps or files you no longer need. To uninstall the apps, follow the steps we’ve instructed above.
Update Your Fire
Is your Fire TV running on the latest software update? If not, this can be why your Firestick or Fire TV keeps crashing. To fix this, you need to update your Fire device software to its latest version.
To do that;
- Navigate to the Settings of your Fire TV or Firestick.
- Now, choose My Fire TV > About.
- And then select Check for system update. If available, download it and update your Fire device.
If your Fire TV stuck on downloading or updating the software updates, then check, here’s what you need to do – Steps To Fix Firestick Stuck On Downloading Updates.
Reposition Your Device
If your Firestick keeps going back to the home screen, it could be due to overheating. Try placing your device in a ventilated area and removing any nearby heating sources or devices. This should help to keep your Firestick from overheating and crashing.
If your Fire device is still crashing, try performing the factory reset on your device. Doing this will delete all the data and saved preferences from the Fire device.
To Factory Reset your Firestick/FireTV;
- Press and hold the Back and Right navigation buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- Now, choose Continue (to start the reset process) or Cancel it (to cancel the reset process).
If you don’t press any button, it will automatically start the reset process. If you don’t want to lose your downloaded content, you can select the Cancel it button and move on to the other steps).
Once your Fire device is reset to the factory settings, set up your account again and play a show or movie to check if it still crashes.
Reset your TV
If resetting the Fire device didn’t resolve the issue, try resetting your TV to its default factory settings. To locate the Reset option on your Tv,
- Head to the Settings of your TV.
- And then locate the Reset or Factory Reset option.
- After that, select it and reset your TV to its factory settings.
Contact Fire TV Support
If your Fire TV Stick crashes or keeps returning to the home screen, you may need to contact Fire TV Support for further assistance.
Ask the Fire TV support team to help you in resolving the issue. You can raise your concern via requesting a phone call or Chat support.
More Helpful Guides;