Recently I tried watching PPV sports on my ESPN app on smart tv. The stream was going well, but then all of a sudden the ESPN app started buffering on my smart tv. Then I opened the app on my phone but the ESPN was still buffering on the device. The video was very choppy and glitchy. To fix this problem I did some research and contacted the ESPN team. By following the troubleshooting steps I found, I was able to fix the ESPN plus buffering issue on my device.
Why is ESPN + So Glitchy?
Before troubleshooting steps, let me tell you some of the common reasons why the ESPN plus app is buffering constantly.
- Slow, unstable internet connection.
- The Internet is not working.
- If your internet speed/bandwidth is not enough.
- ESPN plus corrupted cached data.
- The app is outdated, system firmware is outdated.
- You are using VPN.
- Unnecessary apps running in the background.
- Glitch, bug temporary.
What to do when the ESPN app is constantly buffering?
Close the stream/app
If your ESPN plus app is buffering, restarting the app can help you. To close the ESPN app follow the steps below.
Smart TV: Press the back button on your smart tv remote to exit out of the ESPN plus app. Close all the running applications, now open the ESPN plus app again. Check if the buffering issue is fixed or not.
Mobile device: Close the ESPN plus app, also close any other apps if any are running. Now on android devices, force stop the app. Open the ESPN app again and check if the buffering issue is fixed.
On browsers: If you are facing buffering issue with ESPN on your browser, then close the tab and browser. Open the browser and go to the ESPN website. Check if the ESPN buffering issue is fixed or not.
Power Cycle Your Smart TV
If the ESPN plus is buffering on your smart tv, then performing a power cycle can help. By power cycle, you will discharge all the electricity from your smart tv. This can help in clearing the temporary cache and data, which can cause the ESPN buffering issue.
- Close the ESPN plus app.
- Now turn off your smart tv.
- Press and hold the physical power button to discharge any remaining electricity from the tv.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Now plug in your smart tv and turn it on.
Launch the ESPN plus app and check if the buffering, choppy picture issue is resolved or not.
Look for internet issues
The main reason behind any streaming platform buffering issue is the internet connection. If the internet is slow, weak or not working then the ESPN app will not work properly on your smart tv or mobile device. Below we’ve mentioned some troubleshooting steps for internet connection.
- First of all, check if the internet is working or not. To check this you can open apps like youtube and check if the video is streaming or not. If the video is buffering then check your internet speed.
- To check your internet speed visit speedtest.net. ESPN plus requires at least 5 Mbps for sd content and 25+ for 4k UHD content. If your internet is slow, then your ESPN app can start buffering. We’ve mentioned some steps below that can help you in improving the internet speed.
- To improve your internet speed, you can move your router closer to the smart tv or your phone.
- Place your router higher than the streaming device, and make sure there is no obstacle between your wifi and device.
- You can use an ethernet connection to connect your smart tv to wifi. This can help in fixing the internet problem and buffering issue.
- In case you are using a VPN, then close it. After closing the VPN app, check if the ESPN plus buffering issue is fixed or not.
- If your internet is not working or slow, then follow the steps. First, unplug the router from the power outlet. Wait for 10-15 minutes, now turn on your wifi router. Now check if the internet is working or not. If the internet problem is fixed, then ESPN + buffering issue is resolved.
- Try using any other network, now check if the ESPN plus buffering issue is fixed. If the issue is fixed then contact your isp for help.
- If the internet is still not working then contact your internet service provider for help.
Update the ESPN plus app
ESPN Plus app can start buffering if the app is not up to date. In case your ESPN plus app is buffering, then you need to check if the app is outdated. If the app is outdated, then first update the app.
- Go to the app store, or play store depending on your device.
- Now search ESPN plus app.
- Now download and install the ESPN plus app if available.
After updating the ESPN plus app, check if the buffering issue you were facing on your device is fixed.
Reinstall the ESPN plus app
If the ESPN plus app is still buffering on your smart tv, or mobile device. Then reinstalling the ESPN plus app on your device can help you. To reinstall the ESPN plus app follow the steps below.
- First, uninstall the ESPN plus app from your device.
- Reboot your ESPN plus app.
- Now install the latest version of the ESPN plus app.
After reinstalling the ESPN plus, launch the app. Now check if the ESPN plus keeps buffering, the choppy, glitchy issue is fixed or not.
Tips: Some users have reported that they were able to resolve the buffering issue by signing out of the ESPN plus app. Sign out of the ESPN plus app and sign in again. Now check if the buffering issue you were facing is resolved.
Clear Cache of the ESPN plus app
If the ESPN plus app is still buffering then clearing the cache of the ESPN app can help you. To clear the cache of the ESPN plus app follow the steps below.
- Go to settings.
- Click on apps.
- Locate and select the ESPN plus app.
- Click on the storage option.
- Now force stop the app.
- Clear cache and clear the data.
- Go to settings.
- Click on my fire tv and select application.
- Go to manage installed application.
- Locate and select the ESPN plus app.
- Now force stop ESPN plus app.
- Clear the cache and data.
- First, go to home screen and press home 5 times.
- Press up once.
- Rewind 2 times.
- Fast forward 2 times.
Samsung smart tv
- Go to Samsung tv settings.
- Scroll down and select the support option.
- Now select device care.
- Click on manage storage option.
- Select the ESPN plus app and select view details option.
- Now clear cache and data from here.
After clearing the cache of ESPN plus on your device, ESPN plus buffering issue will be resolved.
Contact ESPN Plus
If you are still facing buffering problems while streaming on ESPN plus. Then get in touch with the ESPN plus team for help with this problem.
More helpful guides: