Many people nowadays stuck on the updating discord update loop while launching discord. This is one of the most frustrating issues faced by discord users nowadays. There are many reasons for discord stuck on updating issue which is mentioned below.
Why does my discord keep updating?
There are many reasons for the discord update failed loop which is mentioned below:
- Network issue: If your internet connection is not working properly then that can cause such an issue on your windows application.
- You don’t have admin privileges: Sometimes if you don’t have administrator privileges then you can come across such an issue on your pc.
- Corrupted exe file: This can also happen because of a corrupted or outdated update.exe file or some corrupted data on your pc.
- Due to windows firewall and antiviruses: Your windows firewall and antivirus can block discord from updating. This can cause a discord update failed loop.
How do I Fix Discord Stuck in Update Failed Loop?
Below we’ve gathered some of the workings and knows fixes to eliminate the discord keeps updating issue on your pc.
Clean Reinstallation of Discord
This solution will most likely fix the discord keeps updating issue on your pc. You need to reinstall the discord on your pc after deleting the discord files and folders by following the steps below:
- Close discord and right-click on the taskbar and click on task manager.
- Now in the process tab end every discord process. To end a process right click on the discord and click on end process.
- Press the win + r button on your keyboard to open the run.
- Now type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.
- Right-click on discord and click on uninstall.
- Now again press Windows + R button to open the run.
- Type %appdata% and hit enter.
- Here right-click on the discord folder and click on delete.
- Now again open run by pressing win + r.
- Type %localappdata% and hit enter.
- Locate the discord folder and delete it.
- Now go to https://discord.com/download and from here download and install the latest version of discord on your pc.
Doing a clean reinstall of discord on your pc will fix the discord keeps updating issue on your pc. If you’re still in the discord update failed loop then follow the other steps.
Also check: Fix Discord Keeps Crashing
Rename Discord update.exe file
If the above steps didn’t help you then try deleting or renaming the update.exe file on your pc. To rename the discord update.exe file follow the steps below:
- Launch discord on your pc and check if you’re still stuck in the update failed loop. Now don’t close the discord app and follow the steps below.
- Press win+ r to open run.
- Type %localappdata% and hit enter.
- Local and open discord folder.
- Now right click on the update and rename it to update1 (make sure you doing this when you’re in the discord update loop).
- Now when the discord update loop is finished your discord will open properly without any issue.
Note: if you faced any other issue after this you can simply go to the %localappdata% using run and rename update1 back to update.
Related: How to appear offline on discord
Fix discord keeps updating loop on mac
If you’re facing discord keeps updating issue on your mac then you can follow the steps below to fix the discord update failed loop issue:
- Press the command + q button on your mac to close discord.
- Use Siri to open the activity monitor on your mac and close every running discord process.
- Press command + g to open go to the folder. Now search and delete the folder mentioned below. You can also use the finder to delete these two folders on your mac.
- Now go to the application folder on your mac and delete discord.
- Now visit here https://discord.com/api/download?platform=osx and download and install the latest version of discord for your mac.
After reinstallation of discord on your mac, you’ll not face a discord update failed issue.
Tip: Try a power cycle of your device and your network device. Turn off your pc and your wifi router for a minute or two. Then turn them on and check if the discord update failed issue is fixed or not.
Run discord as administrator
Sometimes discord needs admin privileges to perform certain updates and actions on your pc. To do this you need to open discord as administrator by following the steps below:
- Open task manager and end every running discord process on your pc.
- Right-click on the discord icon from the desktop.
- Now click on the run as administrator option.
After launching discord with administrator privileges you’ll not face a discord update failed issue on your pc.
Related: Fix Discord Stuck on RTC connecting
Disable Windows firewall and antivirus
If the windows firewall or antivirus is blocking your discord then this can result in a discord update failed loop issue on your pc. To fix this you need to temporarily disable the windows firewall and your antivirus.
- Press Windows + I to open windows settings.
- Double click on update and security to open it.
- Now from the left side click on windows security.
- Click on the virus and threat protection option.
- Under virus and threat protection settings click on manage settings.
- Now turn off real-time protection.
- If you’re using any other antivirus disable it for some time.
- Try installing the discord again.
After temporarily disabling windows firewall and antivirus you’ll not face discord stuck in updating issue on your pc.
Contact Discord for help
If you’re still stuck on the discord update failed loop after following all the steps mentioned above, then your last hope is to contact discord. You can contact discord and submit a ticket related to this issue on their website.
If you’re have any other fix then help the community from the comment box and also don’t forget to check the updated method to stop discord from opening on startup.