If your blink camera is blinking red, then it is mostly caused due to hardware or software issues. Blink. You can also face this problem when the internet connection is poor and not stable. Some users claim that the motion sensor and battery are also the cause of the red blinking light on the camera. Moreover, this problem can pop up in several ways.
We face the same problem with one of the cameras of our friend. To fix this problem we did some research and talked with the blink team. In this post, we’re going to share how to fix the red blinking light issue on your blink camera.
What causes the Blink camera to blink red?
- Poor internet connectivity: Many times, using a poor internet connection may give you hard time in using your blink camera.
- Incorrect setup: If the camera is not configured properly then you may face this problem.
- Faulty battery: In most cases, it has been found that using a faulty battery might end up flashing red light or blinking red light. Therefore, to get rid of such problems, try to charge a battery or change the battery to a new one.
- Camera motion: Make sure that camera motion settings are configured properly.
- Loose wire connection: If the wires are not connected properly with the blink camera then you can see a blinking red light.
- Blink hardware issue: Sometimes any defect in the hardware of the camera may lead to the camera blinking red.
After understanding the reasons why your blink camera is blinking red you may proceed with the troubleshooting below.
How to fix blink camera blinking red?
Verify your internet connection
Blink camera can be blinking red if the internet connection is not stable. To fix this problem you need a good and stable wifi connection. For that, you can follow the steps below.
- First check if your internet is working or not. To do this you can use your mobile device. Try playing the video on YouTube and check if the internet is stable or not.
- Check your internet speed at speedtest.com
- If your internet is slow then, unplug your router for 5-10 minutes. Plug in and turn it on. Now check if the internet is working or not.
- If your internet is still not working or slow then contact your internet service provider and get help from them.
Once your internet issue is resolved you can follow the steps below to reconnect your blink camera to your wifi.
Steps to reconnect your blink camera to WI-FI
- Make sure that the phone and sync module is on the same network.
- Open the blink app.
- Go to settings.
- In system settings, select your system name.
- Select sync module.
- Tap on change wifi.
- Follow the blink app instruction, now press the reset button on blink sync module with a pin or paper clip.
- Now the light on the sync module will start blinking blue and green.
- Now click on the discover option.
- Click on the join option.
- Once the device is connected to the wifi, you’ll get the notification that sync module is added.
Once the blink camera is reconnected, check if the red light blinking issue is fixed.
Power cycle your camera
Power cycling generally refers to fully powering off an electronic device and turning it back on. A temporary malfunction in the blink camera can cause red blinking light on your camera. The power cycle can help you in fixing this issue.
- Dismount the camera from the wall stand.
- Open the screw of the battery part and pull out the battery.
- Clear the dust from the battery compartment, if any.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes, so that camera is fully discharged.
- Place the battery again.
Now check if the blink camera blinking red light issue is fixed or not.
Check Blink camera battery
As we know blink cameras require a battery to operate and the blink smart home camera is no exception. Blink camera batteries are expected to last at least 2 years. You can check your blink camera battery life in the blink app.
- Just launch the blink application.
- Head to the camera settings.
- Under monitoring check, if battery says ok.
- If the battery doesn’t say ok then change it.
Additionally, you need to know that blink team recommends always using lithium batteries and avoiding alkaline or rechargeable batteries. Other batteries could significantly reduce camera functionality and its life.
Correct motion detector
Blink camera uses infrared to detect motion. Make sure that no unnecessary objects or pets are moving in the view field. Try changing the camera face where you want the camera to detect the motion/movement. Avoid areas where you are expected to have too much movement. Movement can trigger the blinking red light on your blink camera.
Reset your blink camera
If the red light is still blinking on your blink camera, then reset is the last option. This will clear all the unwanted settings and cache from the blink camera. To reset your blink camera to factory settings follow the steps below.
- Press and hold the sync button on your sync module.
- Wait until the light on the sync module turns red.
- Release the button and wait until the light starts blinking blue and green
- Once the sync module is in setup mode. Remove all the cameras.
- Now again add your blink camera and complete the setup.
Once the setup is complete, check if the blink camera red light blinking issue is fixed.
Contact Blink Team
If your blink camera is still flashing red light, then contact the blink team. They can help you in fixing the blink camera issues.
More helpful guides: