Recently BBC iplayer users have been reporting that BBC iplayer is buffering on their smart tv and mobile device constantly. We found that this problem is faced by large users of BBC iplayer. We did some research on how to fix BBC iplayer buffering problem and what causes this issue.
Why is BBC iplayer buffering?
You can face buffering problem with BBC iplayer due to one of the reasons we’ve mentioned below.
- Your internet is slow.
- Bandwidth is less.
- Internet is not working.
- Outdated apps.
Fix BBC iplayer buffering problem?
Check for outage
If the BBC iplayer is constantly buffering you need to check for an outage. If there is a server problem in your region or area, then BBC iplayer can start buffering. To check for an outage you can visit downdetector. If BBC iplayer server is not working or facing issues, then wait for some time. Once the problem is fixed, you will be able to stream BBC iplayer on your smart tv or phone without buffering the problem.
Power Cycle Your Smart TV
Power cycle can help you when there is a bug or issue with the smart tv. To power cycle your smart tv, you can follow the steps below.
- Close the iplayer using the back button on your smart tv.
- Now turn off your tv using the remote.
- Unplug the smart tv from the power socket.
- Press the physical power button on your tv for 10-15 seconds.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Connect your smart tv to the power socket and turn it on.
Now the buffering issue will be fixed on your smart tv.
Reduce the Load From WiFi
If too many devices are connected to a single wifi, then it can reduce your internet speed. In case too many device are connected to the wifi and if there is a heavy file downloading then it can causes issues. Due to low internet speed or bandwidth then BBC iplayer can start buffering on your device. To fix this disconnect all the devices from the wifi and stop the downloads. After that launch the BBC iplayer and now you’ll be able to stream content without buffering issue.
Is your internet working?
If your internet is not working or slow, then you can face the buffering problem with BBC iplayer on your browser or app. To check and fix your internet connection you can follow the steps below.
- Make sure you meet the minimum internet speed requirement, which is 5mbps+. If your internet is slower than 5mbps, you can face issues like buffering while streaming on BBC iplayer.
- To check your internet speed you can visit speedtest.net
- Move your router closer to the device or tv where you are facing the problem. This will improve the internet speed and after that you’ll be able to stream BBC iplayer on your device.
- Disconnect other device connected to the wifi.
- To fix slow internet connection problem you can use the ethernet cable for connecting your tv or device to the wifi.
- If your internet is slow or not working, then turn off your router and unplug it from the power outlet. Wait for 10-15 minutes, now turn on your wifi. Now your internet will start working properly.
- Try using your mobile internet as a hotspot and check if the buffering problem is fixed.
If your internet is still not working or slow, then contact your isp. Once the internet speed is fixed, you’ll be able to use iplayer without buffering problem.
Lower The Streaming Resolution
If you are trying to stream at high resolution but your internet is slow, then BBC iplayer can start buffering on your device. Don’t worry you can easily fix the buffering problem on BBC iplayer by lowering the resolution of the stream. Play the content you want to watch, now change the streaming quality to standard definition. Now the buffering problem will be resolved for people with slow internet connection.
Reinstall iPlayer App
Reinstalling the iplayer app can help in resolving the buffering issue on your device. Doing this will clear the cache and update the iplayer app on your device. To reinstall the iplayer app on your device follow the steps below.
- Locate the iplayer app and uninstall it.
- Now go to play store/app store etc.
- Search and install the BBC iplayer.
- Login to your account.
Now after reinstalling the BBC iplayer app, check if the buffering problem is fixed.
Other Quick Fix For BBC iplayer buffering issue
Below we’ve mentioned some other quick fixes that can help in fixing BBC iplayer buffering.
- Make sure the BBC iplayer app is updated.
- Update your device firmware.
- If the app is constantly buffering, then close the BBC iplayer app and all the opened app on your device. Now open the BBC iplayer app and check if the buffering issue is fixed.
- Clear the cache of your browser and check if the iplayer is still buffering.
- Try using the incognito mode for streaming iplayer.
- Close all the tabs except BBC iplayer.
- Try using any other browser for streaming BBC iplayer.
Contact BBC iplayer
If the BBC iplayer is still buffering on your device, then contact the iplayer team for help. The BBC iplayer team can help in fixing this buffering, lagging issue on your device.
More helpful guides: