Recently updated on December 16th, 2022 at 07:29 am
Want to play your favorite game on your pc, but your Avast is using a high amount of CPU on your pc? This can be a little problematic sometimes.
Avast’s high CPU usage issue is faced by almost every Avast user on their pc. Like other antivirus tools, Avast is a highly resource-demanding software on your pc.
The resources are required to run many things, like a shield and real-time protection. These Avast services consume a large portion of your PC’s CPU on your pc.
If your Avast is consuming a lot of your CPU, this can create lag on your pc. Most of the time, you can overcome this issue by disabling some unnecessary Avast services.
Also, sometimes an outdated or corrupted Avast app can result in high CPU usage. Below we’ve gathered some working methods to fix the Avast high CPU usage on your pc.
How do I fix high CPU usage on Avast?
You can fix high CPU usage on Avast by repairing Avast app, uninstalling the Avast cleanup tool, updating the Avast to its latest version, disabling the Avast mail and web shield, disabling the update notification, disabling the unnecessary features of Avast, or reinstalling the Avast app.
Uninstall Avast Cleanup Tool
Avast Cleanup performs a real-time operation to free up some resources allocated by other applications, causing high CPU utilization. Hence, removing the Avast Cleanup tool is the best way to resolve the Avast service’s high CPU usage.
- Launch Avast on your PC.
- Now, click on Menu and select Settings.
- Then, navigate to Components tab
- Locate Avast Cleanup and click on the downward-facing arrow next to it.
- After that, click on Uninstall Component and then click OK to confirm the uninstallation.
- Afterward, reboot your PC.
Note: Follow the same process for the component named Behavior Shield if this doesn’t work for you. The CPU usage should remain unchanged if this fixes the problem.
Most of the time, an outdated app can cause high CPU usage. To fix this issue, make sure to update your Avast and Avast antivirus definitions to the latest version by following the steps below:
- Open Avast on your PC.
- Now click on the Menu from the top right side of the screen.
- Click on Settings from the options.
- Now. go to General tab and click on the Update option.
- From here update the application and virus definition to the latest version.
- When the update complete restart your pc.
After restart, open Task manager and check if the Avast high CPU usage is fixed on your pc.
Disable Unnecessary Avast Shield
You can reduce the load from your CPU by disabling the unnecessary shield on your Avast. To disable unnecessary Avast shield on your pc, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Menu option and click on the Settings option.
- Now click on Protection.
- Click on the Core Shields option.
- Now scroll down and click on the Mail Shield tab.
- After that, uncheck every option and select “Indefinitely” for every option.
- Click on the Web Shield tab.
- Now from here, uncheck “Enable https Scanning” and “Enable Script Scanning”.
- After making these changes restart your pc.
Now check if the Avast high CPU usage is fixed on your pc. If you’re still getting the issue, then you can follow the other method below.
Also, check: Windows update error 0x80070020.
Disable Update Notification
Disabling the software updater notification can reduce the load from your CPU. Doing this will fix the Avast high usage of CPU on your pc. To disable this feature on Avast, follow the steps below
- Open Avast on your pc.
- Now click on the Menu and then click on Settings.
- Click on the Performance option.
- Now click on Software updater.
- After that, uncheck “Notifications about new Updates.“
After making these changes check if you’re still facing the Avast high CPU usage or not.
Disable unnecessary Avast feature
If the above steps didn’t help you, then you can modify and change Avast settings to fix this issue. You need to disable all the unnecessary Avast features to reduce the load from your pc CPU. Follow the steps below to disable the unwanted feature of Avast on your pc.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type Control Panel.
- Now, double click to open the control panel from the list.
- Click on the Program option.
- Now, click on Program and features.
- Locate Avast from the list and right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- After that, click on the Modify option.
- Uncheck every from the list except files shield, behavior shield, web shield as shown in the image below.
- Now click on the Change button.
- And, then restart your computer.
After restart, check if the Avast high CPU usage is fixed on your pc. To fix this issue, you can try repairing the Avast application using the following method.
Repair Avast application
You can try repairing the Avast application on your pc to fix the high CPU usage on your pc. To repair Avast on your pc, you can follow the steps below.
- Press Windows + R to open Run.
- Now type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.
- Right-click on Avast from the list and click on Uninstall option.
- Now click on the Repair option.
- When the repair complete restart your pc.
Now Avast high CPU usage will be fixed on your pc.
Change the Avast Scan frequency
Changing the scan frequency of Avast antivirus on your pc can reduce the load from your pc CPU. To make a change to the Avast scan frequency, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + R to open Run.
- Now type the following path C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast and hit enter.
- Now locate the avast5.ini.files.
- If you found this then double-click to open it.
- Now enter the following in the file [GrimeFighter] : ScanFrequency=999 and save it.
- After saving the file restart your computer to apply changes.
After restart Avast, high CPU usage will be resolved on your pc. If not then follow the steps mentioned below.
Also check: Fix chrome high ram usage.
Reinstall Avast on your PC
If the steps mentioned above didn’t help you, then you can try doing a reinstallation of Avast antivirus on your pc. Reinstalling Avast antivirus can sometimes fix the high CPU usage on your pc.
- Download the Avast Uninstall Utility to remove Avast from your pc.
- Open Uninstall Utility and select the Avast folder and click on Remove.
- After uninstalling Avast from your pc, restart your computer.
- After restarting install the latest version of Avast on your pc.
Now check if the high CPU usage issue persists or not.
If you’ve any other do let us know from the comment section and also check fix for Nvidia control panel not opening.