An automatically playing video or audio can ruin the whole experience of your internet browsing. Well many modern browsers provide the option to disable audio or video from automatically playing. The most commonly used browser chrome also provides this option. As chrome is one of the most stable and fast browser due to the usage of RAM for its processes. It is loved across all operating system platforms. In this post, we’re going to explain how you can turn off or disable the auto-play of sound on chrome browser on desktop and android app.
Note: There is no option to disable videos from automatically playing in the background. But, you can disable the audio from automatically playing in the background.
Turn off Auto-play on Chrome Desktop
With the latest chrome 64 bit version, now chrome provides the option to disable sound playback on the website. You can also add your choice of website to the list of disabled sound black. Also, there is an option to mute websites. To disable or turn off audio playback follow the steps below.
- Open chrome on your desktop or laptop and click on the three dots from the top right side of the screen.
- Now from the options click on settings.
- In the privacy and security section click on site settings option.
- Now scroll down and click on additional content settings.
- Click on the sound option ( which is by default set to “allow sites to play sound”)
- On this page, you can toggle off the sound playback on chrome desktop browser.
- Here you can add a website to a muted site list. No sound will be played on your next visit after adding the website to the muted site.
Note: Autoplay policy is not set as “document-user-activation-required” on the latest version of chrome browsers and you cannot find it or change it using “chrome://flags/#autoplay-policy”.
So this is how you can easily disable the auto-playing sound on chrome. Below are the steps to mute a website
Steps to mute or unmute a website or chrome desktop version.
- Open the website you want to mute.
- Now right-click on the tab and click on ”Mute site” from the option. After doing no sound will be played from the muted site.
You can also mute site by clicking on the secure “lock icon” in the URL box of chrome browser. Now you will get the option to mute site, just select the mute option from the drop-down menu next to sound option. If you don’t find this option then follow the steps above to mute a site
If you’re using Firefox then do check this post to access Firefox saved password on latest version of Firefox
Disable automatically playing sound on the chrome android app.
If you want to disable the sound from automatically playing in the background in your chrome android app, follow the steps below:
- Open your chrome app and click on three dots from the top right side of the screen.
- Now click on the Settings option.
- Scroll down and click on site settings in the advanced section.
- Again scroll down and click on sound (which is allowed by default)
- Now toggle off to disable the sound from automatically playing while browsing.
- If you want to block some specific sites from playing audio automatically, you can add them to the “site exception” list. The audio will be muted on these sites on your future visits.
So this is how you can disable sounds from automatically playing in the background during your browsing session on chrome browser.
Do you any more question regarding the autoplay on chrome or any other browser, let us know or you can check one of our post on how to export and import chrome bookmarks